Thread: Mid. Sept. haul road conditions? (Atigun)

Default Mid. Sept. haul road conditions? (Atigun)

Anything to worry about driving the haul road or more specifically through Atigun around the 15th of September? I've heard about the roads being pretty nasty that early up there, but would like to hear some first hand accounts. Thanks guys.

Dustin

There was already a travel advisory this week recommending chains due to icy, blowing, snowy etc. Be careful.

Thanks BTK, i appreciate the warning. Anyone else have some input here?

Truckers were advised today at my company to gear up for winter with chains etc.

Winter is on the pass now.

Expect snow and slippery conditions and plan for it. Chains are a good idea to have as well as headlights and fog lights. Also, get a cb radio installed so you can talk to truckers before attempting to drive through the pass. There is not much worse situations, road wise, to find yourself in than having to back down a snowy, slippery road. Good luck on the drive and the hunt!

Just got back from delivering a load up north. Atigun was in bad shape when I came over it yesterday afternoon. Just muddy and wet at the bottom which was deceiving. The last half mile on the north side towards the top was all snow and ice and several trucks had spun out. There was a pick-up pulling a trailer that had lost control and the trailer spun sideways and put him up against the guard rail. The south side was snow and ice covered all the way down to the switchback. It was definately a chain-up trip. Best advice was from tiger15. Get a CB radio and start talking to the truckers way before you get to the pass. Just simply ask, "how is the pass looking?" Tell them you are a 4 wheeler and they will give you good info. If they recommend you chain up, do it. Good luck and be safe.