Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far do you have to go to catch Winter Kings in K-Bay?

Default How far do you have to go to catch Winter Kings in K-Bay?

Is the "bluffs" that everyone talks about for winter king fishing the bluffs 5 or 6 miles south of Anchor Point?

Seems like many folks fish towards Seldovia for the Winter Kings but what are the chances of running into kings within say 5 to 7 miles from Anchor Point this time of year?

Or am I better off traveling from the spit towards Yukon Island which is about the same distance?

I would say they are talking about the Anchor River area bluffs. As you know, it`s hit and miss just offshore below Anchor. Not sure if you would want to venture across from the spit as during tide/wind shifts the water can build pretty big right at the end of the spit. From my experience the area from Seldovia to Pogi is pretty fertile and has the right currents and depth to hold bait. If it were me I`d fish from 25-60` of water below Anchor River....like within 2 miles. But I`d be fishing for Butts with big baits.

Here`s a link to a study of the Cook Inlet area`s current and wind directions.
    http://www.alaska.boemre.gov/reports...s/2009_041.pdf

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have been out the last few days. Came from Homer, north to a few miles south of the Anchor tractor Launch and out 2 + or - miles in 55' of water. Good king fishing, trolling herring and cut plugs.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Winter kings hang out all along that stretch, but the most popular areas on that side of the bay are from about where you have been fishing all the way back toward Homer where "the high spot is" and another mile or so past that. You need to remember that if you're north of the line extending straight out from Bluff Pt. you are only allowed 1 king per day and a yearly limit of 5 kings. South of that line you can keep 2 kings and there is a seasonal limit. Take a look at the regulations for clarification: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf. It looks a bit confusing, but read it a few times and you'll get it.

On the other side there are a lot of stretches all the way from Pogi to the head of the bay where kings hang out. West of Seldovia along the coast toward Pogi is very popular (often referred to as "4th of July creek), the Yukon island area on the bay side can be productive, Anisom Pt. to Lancashilre rock is one of my favorites (only 3 miles across from the Spit) and then all the way up near Bear Cove/Island can be really good at times, too.

Remember, winter kings are out there chasing bait, so they aren't always going to be hanging out in the same spots. Don't be afraid to move around, though that king you see me holding in my picture took 5 hours of trolling near Lancashire. I can be very tenacious.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Here's a slight addendum to what I said before for clarification. The seasonal limit begins south of the Anchor Pt. light. Please read the regs carefully for clarification: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Those winter kings are where you find them.If you're gonna try to get there with that Outback,I'd zip across to Lancashire Rock and work west toward Elrond Passage working from 100' up to 25'.That has worked for me in the past---should work for you,too.

Default Best day yesterday!

Had the best day of winter king fishing yet yesterday just south of Anchor Point about 4 miles offshore. (You'll see the fleet.) Had three on board, and we had a 10, 15, and 25 (approx) pound king salmon in the boat in less than 2 hours. Trolled some more looking for silvers and put 4 more kings back. Decided to pull up and move so we didn't possibly damage more kings and then picked up two silvers near the high bluffs. Great day!

lowes1x.jpg

Jack and Kathleen Lowe, with Alaskan Author Bernard Rosenberg (center).

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Had the best day of winter king fishing yet yesterday just south of Anchor Point about 4 miles offshore. (You'll see the fleet.) Had three on board, and we had a 10, 15, and 25 (approx) pound king salmon in the boat in less than 2 hours. Trolled some more looking for silvers and put 4 more kings back. Decided to pull up and move so we didn't possibly damage more kings and then picked up two silvers near the high bluffs. Great day!

lowes1x.jpg

Very nice!

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Just not quite ready to call it a year yet for sure! Winter Kings, Pike in the Valley, upper and Mid Kenai. Still lots of choices but the winter kings seem to be the most challenging of the bunch. Then the chance a t a few chicken halibut is appealing too.

Today I have the a slightly more challenging job in watching the kids but tomorrow is wide open! Weather looking a touch iffy but at least with the kings, I have all winter!

So Mark, ya make it down in one piece? Hope Lori's leg is better!

I hate you, Jim!

And Kardinal, don't ever call it a year. I've had some of the best winter king fishing of all in Dec. and Jan. when the weather allows. They never leave the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    And Kardinal, don't ever call it a year. I've had some of the best winter king fishing of all in Dec. and Jan. when the weather allows. They never leave the area.
    Now THAT'S what we like to hear. Should make for some interesting days. My yak handles the the swells and waves better than my power boats. Just pick my days carefully and err on the safe side. I think that would just be INSANE to even have the opportunity to fish open water in SouthCentral Alaska for something decent in the winter!

was in the same spot as cliffhanger today, and just couldn't get my ducks in a row... boats around me were creaming the kings, back and forth across the 59' 40" (one fish) line... all i could get was tangles, halibut and one 14 lb king.
    got some tips from the huntress, but didn't have the gear he was using...
    out to buy some "secret" flashers....
    (and no, don't even ask...)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    was in the same spot as cliffhanger today, and just couldn't get my ducks in a row... boats around me were creaming the kings, back and forth across the 59' 40" (one fish) line... all i could get was tangles, halibut and one 14 lb king.
    Ok... I'm askin'
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

If we're talking about the same thing I don't use anything but the "secret" flasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Those winter kings are where you find them.If you're gonna try to get there with that Outback,I'd zip across to Lancashire Rock and work west toward Elrond Passage working from 100' up to 25'.That has worked for me in the past---should work for you,too.
    Just to clarify for there for you, Mark, so there's no confusion, it's "Eldred" Passage and for those that are wondering it's the passage between Yukon Island and the main land.

Thanks for the advice folks. Gave it a whirl on Sunday. No love from the Kings but part of it was my late start. Just could not make much headway against that current. Did manage a few chickens.

Posted the details in the kayak forum:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/104997-Anchor-Point-Chickens-Sept-11-2011?p=1005886#post1005886

Here's the vid

Cliffhanger will probably add his own picture to this thread, but we had another stellar day out there today in about the same spot. We ended up with 4 kings and a silver. Here's two of them:Two fishies.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Thanks for the advice folks. Gave it a whirl on Sunday. No love from the Kings but part of it was my late start. Just could not make much headway against that current. Did manage a few chickens.

Posted the details in the kayak forum:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/104997-Anchor-Point-Chickens-Sept-11-2011?p=1005886#post1005886

Here's the vid
    How do you mount your camera? Great pics, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I hate you, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post

lowes1x.jpg

Its up to you 3 guys to to hash it out to decide who gets to take me fishing for the derby this winter...So far Cliffhanger has the slight edge. Keep in mind, the "may" the best man win rule is not in affect. It will ​be the best man that wins this contest!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Default Spoiler alert!

I believe that "secret flasher" is the red-rimmed ProTroll with a silver body. I got that tip from a friend fishing on another boat and that flasher has outperformed the last two times out 2-1.

I'm trying to get a video put together from my private trip out yesterday (my birthday) with Alaskan Author, Coho Dave, and Tony Famous Davis. Hope to have it done by Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    How do you mount your camera? Great pics, thanks!
    The vid is a head strap mounted gopro (their 960 version) that comes with the camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast