Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing to hear of guys turning themselfs in,

Default Refreshing to hear of guys turning themselfs in,

In this weeks paper, www.deltawindonline.com , delta paper there were 4 hunters that called in illegal moose. It goes along way for us hunters to hear that. Good for you guys.

As a side note, I was pulling in to get some gas this morning and guess who was getting gas beside me, lol, F&G.

So I thought this was a good time to find out where the lines were drawn for the delta mngt. area. out by Donnely Dome. ( I don't hunt that area, but with all the tickets that are giving out over the years, I wanted to know why.)

I asked him of where I thought the lines were and he told me I was half right, lol, he just got here from western alsaka and said that he got out the topicgraphical book and got himself familiar with the layout of the area, drew some lines, and it was pretty easy from there on out.

Well that got me to thinking and as I have lived here for a big part of my life and know the points that he was talking about, mainly mile post 252-238 it kinda all made sence except the straight line from 252 to the 33 mile loop road. I know where the loop is, but there are no land marks that you can use to determin where this line is.

He was basically a pretty good source of info, lol and a nice guy on top of that. He was getting fuel and getting back to the field where the guys were having to much fun ( hunters, lol )

Watch out for a dirty truck that you all most can't read the TROOPER on the side, lol. ( he is'nt afraid to get her dirty )

Yea, It's refreshing that people turn themselves in but here in the Valley, turn yourself in and get nailed to the max. Sorry to say. Seen it too many times. If a guy chooses to admit screwing up and admits it, you give him maybe a partial break as a stand up guy. Not here my friend. I don't even want to pull the trigger any more. Too many restrictions, and the horror of messing up is tantamount. Such a sad state of affairs.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I was going to say, I have 2 people I know turn themselves in. Both got hammered big time, fines, guns taken, and no hunting for a period of time.

In both cases, the hunters could have probably gotten away with it, but they decided to do what was right, and got hammered for it.

That is exactly the problem. Stand up and get slammed down. What are these judges thinking? It just makes hunting more of a problem then not doing it all together. Sad state of Affairs!!! Now anybody that has followed my posts knows that I try to do the right thing... Pick up trash, help protect the habitat and chair a dipnetting org. That said, I would have to think twice if I screwed up and wanted to turn myself in. You are going to get slammed either way. But if you don't get caught, you skate. There has to be a happy medium, I'm thinking but I ain't seen it yet
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

A close friend turned his in a few years ago and was fined $300 and that was it. He did'nt get his gun taken away from him, he did loose his right to hunt the next year, but that was it. Far better than a $5000.00 fine and jail time and a five year hunting restriction.

I agree, they don't exactly motivate people to do the right thing and turn themselves in when they nail them to the wall for doing so. Someone that makes a mistake and owns up to it is treated the same as a poacher and a criminal.

Where did this happen? It all depends on the jurisdiction!!

Delta.

Small town, small court, and a whole document of hunters from down south.

I think you would find fairbanks is about the same way, the reason being is that they think that the interior has a very built up amount of wildlife per person compared to the pop down south and it is not as big of an impact here as you guys have down there.

One thing about it is that the churchs have alot of meat on hand this winter.

I guess that the churches are doing OK. My other cunnundrum is I have a pretty low life brother in law that has saddled up to a gal in some local church and gets half of the meat this church gets through the program of Fish and Game roadkill program. He is a slimeball but seems to get away with it. With out her actual info I can't turn either of them in for abuse of the program. Heck, he doesn't even show up to help butcher, just manages to show up to take quarters from said moose. Sad state of affairs. The system is totally broken. Fish and Game needs to take this program back. Just my opinion!!!!!

Whop,

I think they have done away with the "charity" requirement and it has gone back to anyone can sign up to be on the roadkill list. So even though your BIL is leeching off the local church, he could also do it himself (might be too much work for him though by the sounds of it...).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AK, who gets the moose that are taking by the state? ( not road kill)

I think I know that Trooper....

I turned myself in once. Only to hear later that "had I fought it, i'd have won since the circumstances were what they were (shot cub, no sow...it was shot earlier and the cub was solo at my instance....and squared over 5'). PISSSSSSED me off. However, I was in the wrong so I was okay, but to hear it come from "one of the parties involved" PO'd me. Means they shouldn't have cited me to begin with, and my KINDNESS was taken advantage of. Would have been nothing to skin, stretch, tan myself...****ers.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I turned myself in last year for a sow w/cub. Yes, in the valley, with valley troopers and court, and was handed a citation and $100 fine; no restitution, still allowed to hunt that year. It was a fly out hunt and I brought the hide directly to the troopers; basically tried to do everything right as a self turn in, including informing the pilot immediately upon seeing him what had happened. The court system did right by me; frankly I was scared to death of all the "what ifs." I've heard too many horror stories; in my case, though, the troopers and court handled everything fine.

glad to hear that it worked out for you Will. Maybe things are being turned around lately... I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    AK, who gets the moose that are taking by the state? ( not road kill)
    I'm not sure what the procedure is for seized animal meat... Might be a good question for the "ask AST" thread.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up St. Francis Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I'm not sure what the procedure is for seized animal meat... Might be a good question for the "ask AST" thread.
    If it were up to me, it would go directly to the St. Francis Shelter (across from Beans) in Anchorage.

Surprisingly though, the troopers have not asked me..... But I know they read this forum, so NOW they know.

Seized meat goes to the road kill list. Charities were dropped as the only recipients of the road kill several years ago; possibly because of abuses such as Whop mentioned. Anyone can now sign up for roadkill; you have to form a group with 3 contacts in it, and be prepared to leave home at a moment's notice when the call comes in.

Here's the kicker to seized meat; if your meat is seized, and you win the case, you will not get your meat back. It will already have been given out to the next in line on the road kill list. Instead, the troopers will put you next in line for road kill meat; so you will have the opportunity to replace your carefully cleaned and prepared game meat with a gut blasted, mangled moose beside the road somewhere.

My hats off to those that do the right thing and turn themselves in. I really think that there should be a different set of rules for those that do.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    My hats off to those that do the right thing and turn themselves in. I really think that there should be a different set of rules for those that do.
    I agree.

Especially when someone (like my friend) shoots and cow caribou on accident (walked right in front of the bull he was aiming at) in the middle of nowhere, still field dresses it, and brings it right to the fish and game office. He got slapped with $1000-ish fine, gun taken away, and couldn't for like 5 years I believe. That same weekend me and my dad walked by 3 dead caribou who had been gut shot, 2 were cows.

He told the judge "next time, ill just bury it or leave it out there" after the sentence. This guy is a stand up guy, and a very ethical hunter (has hunted his whole life in Alaska).

This was in Unit 13, fwiw.

Maybe next time get the Judge's name and then tell the world come retention time at elections. Someone needs to school these judges on proper and also improper conduct. Commen sense makes no sense

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast