Thread: New Training Gun Idea

Default New Training Gun Idea

I've got a .22 blank revolver, but a box of 50 blanks is pretty costly. I also have an old 12 ga single shot, but poppers are for the rich and famous. I bought a bunch of misc gun stuff out of an estate. In this pile was a bunch of old .223/5.6 blanks. Some of them looked gnarly, so I stuck them in my bolt .223 rifle, and pop they went. The sound was pretty good.
    Here's my thought. Find a cheap/inexpensive break open single shot like a H&R in .223. Should costs +/- $150. If it is too unwieldy, cut the barrel down to a shorter but legal length. Then go buy a bucket of .223 blanks. 500-1000 should cost about $10. Heck, some guys would give them away to not have to carry them back to one more gun show.
    If a guy is doing lots of training w/ poppers or blanks the pay off would occur the first year. Back when I was training full time it was nothing to go through 20 boxes of blanks and 5 or more boxes of poppers a year.
    Anyways, just thought on saving a buck or two,
    ARR

Why not just buy some 22 nail gun blanks from Lowes or Home Depot? About $6.00 a hundred her in Anchortown.

You are right, that is another idea. But I remember when I bought a brick of 500 .22 for that same price. The .223 blanks, if you look around a bit, should be substantially cheaper than that, and again, the amount of noise is very good. I am wondering if I made a mistake in selling off what stock of blanks I owned.
    Anybody else have any other money saving ideas for dog training?
    ARR

I use a blank pistol that shoots 209 primers. at 3 dollars per 100, or 30 per 1000, its not bad
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

poppers are cheap if you reload. I have a pretty good recipe if you need one

I'm not training enough to need to spend time reloading poppers, but why don't you let us know how you do it just in case somebody else can benefit?
    Primers are cool too. Pretty cheap, and loud enough for the most part to get a dogs attention. What is the manufacturer? And are the 209 primers the only size that you can use?
    ARR

Wink

A couple of thoughts on this subject.
    Military blanks are either crimped or have a plastic plug. When fired the crimpings of brass will break and come out as fired srappenel. The same holds true for the plastic plugs. Being prior military I remember more than one occasion having to unplug the barrel of my m16 or my 60 after removing the barrel adapter needed to fire the blanks and have the auto eject work properly. Cleaning out pieces of brass or plastic. As long as someone keeps that in mind it is a great idea. But as any blank gun it must be treated as a real one.

Using construction grade 22s in a cast steel blank gun is dangerous. They are not built to withstand those high discharge pressures. Seen this several times.
    Those that do use them fire low charge in a factory 22 revolver. Not a blank gun.

I use 209s mostly. Occasionally using 12 gauge blanks.
    I also use shotgun shells loaded with just a primer.

The manufacturer is called Kimar. I bought it at Boondocks for $100 . Although I see you live in Fairbanks so Boondocks would be quite a drive for you. I know sportsmans, and cabelas carry them too. They are only good for 209 primers. If I want something louder, I use poppers out of my NEF single shot.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!