Thread: Whittier shore...Am I doing something wrong?

Default Whittier shore...Am I doing something wrong?

I've been bottom fishing Whittier several times throughout the past couple years. Usually I fish with a bit of herring from the rocks near the little business loop or at the large rock closer to the tunnel. Although I sometimes see folks fishing for herring I've never gotten a bite and I can usually find atleast a few fish wherever else I go. I've heard of a fish processor discharge but am unsure of it's location and I'd like to target some cod. I've done a forum search back to the beginning of 09 but I may have missed something and could use some tips. Thanks

The pipe comes out some 200 yards off the city dock or in line with plant. They dump the fish cleaning bucket just about anywhere iut side the harbor. Don't know it it does ya much good?

You've never even caught a cod or pollock? If you watch the herring fisherpeople, about half the time they are catching small cod/pollock (I still have a hard time telling the difference). I've caught some 3-4 lb ones there myself, as well as some flounder. I'm surprised you've never gotten anything. I'd suggest small hooks and bait....

I've thought about going to Salmon Run and hiking out around the point on the rocks and casting a chunk of bait there just for kicks. Never see anyone fishing there, but figure there's got to be something out there.

Go to the point near the storefront area with the Stone pillar with the "brass?"plaque. Look for the birds, no birds feeding no (to not much) herring/cod. Get the sabiki herring jigs (5 hooks?) from sportmans or bj's. white with red n glowbeads, 1 1/2oz cannon ball. cast as far as you can straight out, count 15 seconds set the hook, if theyre there youll be hooked up often enough to have fun. Also good fun for kids if you can cast for them.

After you catch a good amount, look up to see if anyone is waiting or casting n not catching and share the spot. =) we all have to pay the toll and its nice to share the wealth the sea gives us. more importantly the spot is kinda small.

Herring and small cod, kind of a waste to keep the cod as they are usually small and could grow signifcantly bigger

Hey I finally got a fish. I headed out onto the point near salmon run and cast out on the incoming tide. I may be mistaken but the sculpin I caught could have bin a bit heavier than the weight I was using. I goofed off out there till I no longer had room to cast well then drove over to the rocks in town. There I put on a piece of the sculpin and got a bite off the bottom but should have given the fish a little longer to get a good hook. I also tried the herring rig for a bit but was unsuccessful. I had a great day and considering I need to see the kiddo off to school and be back when he returns I got 4 hours of fishing in. I'm gonna head down again this week and start at the big rock closer to the tunnel. I appreciate your tips fellas maybe I'll see one of you guys down there sometime.