Thread: Spruse Hen in the Mat Vally

Question Spruse Hen in the Mat Vally

Any one want to give up some good Spruce Hen hunting spots in the Talkeena area. We will be rideing the wheelers and also want to take a few Spruce Hen while we are at it. My son is 13 and is chomping at the bit.

Check the borough website there are a few documented trails out that way. I would fill the tank and head to willow fishhook road then check side streets. Make sure to pay attention to trespassing signs out there. There is a good bit of private property but also lots of public land and you should find some birds

Thanks for the info!! We will check Willow Fishhook also.

I hate to be THAT guy........ but if you are cruising borough roads (ie "sidestreets") make sure there is not a home behind that stand of trees you are shooting into at that grouse! Alot of folks think that since they are beyond the Wasilla city limits it's a free for all. Know your backstop always and everytime!!

I've already had one time this fall when road hunting folks were shooting towards my home and shop. Beware.............sometimes homes shoot back!!!

Good luck....

I completely understand your concern! I would hate to have been it in that position, of hearing shots twards my home. I'm sorry to hear that happend.

I'm wracking my brain and I cannot come up with an honest recommendation for the Talkeetna area that would be good to go to. I saw over 20 grouse today on my deliveries and every single one of them were near houses. This place is really growing and popping grouse from the road (even if you are off the side of the road) is really frowned upon by the locals. Last year I turned in several car loads of guys smoking every grouse they saw. Activity like that certainly has soured the locals on road hunting for grouse around here. Where in the Talkeentna area were you planning to ride?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We were planning on riding Comsat.

There are trails off willow fishook that offer much better grouse hunting, almost 4:1 in #s.

We were planning on Comsat, but nothing set in stone.

Dose Willow fishook have some good wheeler trails?

Comsat would probably work, but finding grouse there can be tough. No real conflicts with private property for the most part.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Ya I think we will try Comsat first, I do love that area! Just hope we find some birds, but will be a great time either way.