Thread: Scope mounting

Default Scope mounting

I'm more of a shotgun guy rather than rifle. My question is: when mounting a scope, what is the best way to accurately place the scope's verticle line with the centerline of the rifle or is this an eyeball thing? Thanks

pak, there are tools out there that include levels and such made for accurate scope mounting and leveling. However I would venture to guess the majority of scopes are "eyeballed " and plenty good for the avg shot distance. If you can find a way to get your gun in a fairly solid position you can hang a "plumb bob line" from a ceiling or whatever and this can get you pretty darn close. I have also used lines drawn on a wall using a level etc - find some kinda vertical line and that will help.
    You can set up a target with lines on it and when you shoot you will likely notice your cross-hairs are off of those lines if you get it very far outa alignment... Good luck.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by pak View Post
    I'm more of a shotgun guy rather than rifle. My question is: when mounting a scope, what is the best way to accurately place the scope's verticle line with the centerline of the rifle or is this an eyeball thing? Thanks
    I put the rifle in a gun-cleaning vice thingy; level it (sometimes I put a level over a flat horizontal surface of the rifle [rear sight base, etc. ...] or I just eyeball that); and then put a level across the top flat knob cap. That seems to get it pretty darned close to vertical.

Where are you located at pak? If your in the Anchorage area I can help you out.

I mount the scope and don't tighten the ring screws to much. Then I keep leave it in my garage over the next couple of days. When I'm in the garage I shoulder the gun several times and move it till I finally decide it's in the right place. Not very scientific but it works for me. If I ever get a long rang precision rifle I will invest in one of those scope alignment systems.

I'm in Anch. I think I'll try the eyeball method. Should that prove unsatisfactory I will PM you 3083006. Thank you for your generous offer.
    Pete