Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasilla Creek (Rabbit Slough)

Default Wasilla Creek (Rabbit Slough)

My duck hunting partner flaked out on me for Saturday, and I don't like running my quad solo at cottonwood creek. So I was thinking of borrowing my buddies canoe and launching out of Wasilla Creek instead. How is the current in there? I will be on my own, and without a motor. Is it possible to do it by only paddling? I am going to look at some maps tonight, and try to do a scouting run tomorrow afternoon, as this will be the first time I have ever tried it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Okay PG13 go ahead and say it...it's friggin' Wasilla creek...I know you're thinking it

Well, Rabbit Slough, is easy enough to do in a canoe. It has a slight current but nothing major.

Just go down toward the inlet a mile or so and park it. Find a pond to lay some dekes or walk around and jump ducks.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

tailwind..lol talking about sending him down a creek without a paddle..lol., That is going to be one heck of a work out..doable..yes..but with one person a tough one. A mile is a long way to crank that puppy back up to the ramp... I would rather
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Tailwind, I'm glad you beat me to it, now I don't have to call you out and update my browser in anticipation of your reply.

We did that float this season and we saw ducks. Flushing and hoping for them to set on a nearby pond might be effective. I think if you were only under slayer-power, you could probably get a bit closer but probably not within effective shooting range. However, spotting them, pulling ashore and getting ahead of them as they drift with the current around the hairpins might work.

For best luck, fall down during your stalk and you'll be sure to flush them.

You could do that paddle but you would have to be motivated and have an open schedule and not fatigue easy. I'm too fat to volunteer for that kind of effort.
    Go Big Red!

Sounds like it might be in my best interest to hold off until I can get boat, and a small outboard. My buddy will be able to hunt on sunday, but I just don't want to lose any precious waterfowling time. Maybe it would be a better idea to try Jim Lake on a solo hunt.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

With a canoe, just go hunt mud and gull lakes, they connect with no current, usually as many ducks as other areas in the chain, and easy access, lots of cover to park the canoe in to shoot from. Bud
    Wasilla

Slayer,
    i've done that paddle once and i never ever will even think about doing it again. the current is slow enough but its a LONG ways to any good duck holes and the trip back SUCKS!!!!!! your way better off doing the jim creek complex untill you get a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Sounds like it might be in my best interest to hold off until I can get boat, and a small outboard. My buddy will be able to hunt on sunday, but I just don't want to lose any precious waterfowling time. Maybe it would be a better idea to try Jim Lake on a solo hunt.
    If you have access to a square back canoe and are mechanically inclined I have an old merc 9.9 that I picked up from a guy who couldn't get to start. I don't have anything to hang it on or a place to tinker with it right now so if you got it running I would loan it to you for the season. It turns over but the previous owner said he ran out on a lake, shut it down to fish and couldn't get it to fire back up.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you have access to a square back canoe and are mechanically inclined I have an old merc 9.9 that I picked up from a guy who couldn't get to start. I don't have anything to hang it on or a place to tinker with it right now so if you got it running I would loan it to you for the season. It turns over but the previous owner said he ran out on a lake, shut it down to fish and couldn't get it to fire back up.
    duckslayer would be doing you a big favor to borrow a non working motor and return it to you in working condition... SOP for this forum though; forum members here do favors for other forum members a few times a day, here in Alaska.

Hmmm, look who was hiding in the bushes waiting to take a pot shot.... I don't take my stuff to mechanics because I can fix pretty much anything mechanical. For me checking out a motor for a couple hours and maybe cleaning a carb up isn't a big deal and the use of it for a season would be more than adequate compensation. I just haven't had the need to tinker with this one since I dont have a hole in the water to hang it on and it is just sitting in the shed. For someone who is good with tools it may be worth the effort. For someone who is only good at being a tool perhaps not!

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Hmmm, look who was hiding in the bushes waiting to take a pot shot....
    Where in the hell do you get off saying "hiding in the bushes waiting to take a pot shot" ???? If memory serves, I just rep'd you within the past hour or two, and I treated the post that I responded to quite respectfully. Do you have an axe to grind here, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    duckslayer would be doing you a big favor to borrow a non working motor and return it to you in working condition... SOP for this forum though; forum members here do favors for other forum members a few times a day, here in Alaska.
    That's one of the slimiest comments ive seen in a while. Why is it every thread I read you're crapping on it

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    That's one of the slimiest comments ive seen in a while. Why is it every thread I read you're crapping on it
    No crap here buba. Name calling aside (on your part). I just call a spade a spade. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    No crap here buba. Name calling aside (on your part). I just call a spade a spade. What do you do?
    I called no one a name. I identified the poor taste of your post, and the went on to make mention that you crap on others threads with a regularity that indicates too much fiber. And to be clear, about "crapping on a thread", it is a habit of many folks in the net to just pop in, say something useless, or in this case maligning someones character. The part that is really sad, and will have a negative effect on this board is your follow up - "I just call a spade a spade." You have assumed that someone, in this case a moderator, has some negative ulterior motive.

Is there not a moderator here (don't expect it to be you LuJon, due to the fact that you were personally attacked) that will issue some sort of warning or infraction for this kind of thing? Mod's do you not think that you should look at the folks that defecate on your living room floor and then limit there ability to do so? Just curious. Good boards come, and then they go based on the inability to controller the outliers to the community.

I'll go ahead and go back to reading, and meeting, and enjoying the folks that matter here.

getting back on the subject, was wondering if I could get some info if you don't mind on running a quad at cottonwood (rabbit slough). Thanks Steve

There is access to cottonwood off of fairview loop road but I alway thought quads were not legal out there (not that I have researched it to any extent). I don't know if that is where the op is taking off from but it is the only public access to the lower creek that I know of. If so I imagine it is a muddy mess and I also wouldn't head out there solo on a wheeler. Heck it was sticky enough last time i was down that way that walking can be a pain!

Default Cottonwood motorized access

Summit,

I recently read about motorized access through that area. Gave dates and talked about trail restrictions. I think* it was the waterfowl regs which you might already have, can find at Fred Meyer and other outlets, or find on the ADFG website. I don't have them on me and don't have a wheeler so I didn't pay much attention.
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    getting back on the subject, was wondering if I could get some info if you don't mind on running a quad at cottonwood (rabbit slough). Thanks Steve
    here is a trail head map

The one trail that heads south is the ATV or foot trail. You can't drive all over the place on and ATV and have to keep it on the trail. Easy to acces the farther reaches near the slough. Most of the mud holes have a geo mesh on the bottom, but I don't know how well that is working over the years.

This is a handy aerial map.

Here is the ADF&G refuge website.

Poor guy just wants to shoot ducks...we went to a battle of the minds and now quads at rabbit slough..lol. Got to love this.

You will not get 100ft on a quad out there...better off walking along the slough and jump shooting..even that is not good till around 9am and if u do walk and shoot..go to the right from the parking lot...ducks tend to land back there from the action of boats going the opposite direction. Good luck..

Tom, if interested. I am running up to DL Sunday morning to hunt with a friend..if you want a ride up there, I will take you and show you where you can hunt solo and show you the area.. I will bring you back to the ramp after the morning shoot..let me know if you are interested. The offer stands. I have killed a ton of birds out in this area and know it like the back of my hand. I have 3 spots in mind. If you dont have decoys. I will let you use mine..if you dont have a gun I will let you use mine..lol..you got to buy the shells...lets get Duckslayer56 on some birds.

DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks everybody, will check out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast