Thread: Is Valdez still worth it?

Default Is Valdez still worth it?

My wife finally has a couple of days off and I would love to see her get some silver action. I know the commercial guys are fishing now, but are there still fish available to catch. This is my first season up here so I am not sure. THanks for any info.

A sunny weekend in Valdez, if the fish are not here then it is still worth it for a sunny weekend.

I was wondering about that as well.
    From other posts over the last couple of years it seems like it may not be worth it unless a large school has made it into the harbor where the commercial boats cant get them.
    Not 100% sure about that but thats the impression I got from other posts.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default I have

I went down a few years ago the weekend after Labor Day and managed to get fish at Allison Point. The best part besides catching fish is that there were no people there. Good luck.

I'm sure there's still fish, but it'll be harder to find them probably. There are areas the commfish boats can't/don't go, so try those. The harbor, as mentioned, is big and can hold a lot of fish. It was just starting to fill up with fish on Monday, so it could be pretty good now. If I had the time, money, and spousal approval I'd go again, or still be there. Valdez to me is worth a trip even if the fishing sucks....it's just got a draw for me and it's spectacular.

It was chilly Sunday morning, though.....brrrr. Slow fishing on those wet-chill mornings make it hard to stand there long.

Fish , or no fish, Valdez is a spectacular sight on a sunny day ! The drive is beautiful as well.

There were some silvers jumping out near the security zone last night. I saw nothing around the harbor. There were at least 3-4 boats out fishing for silvers but I was too far away to tell if they were successful.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I spoke with my Valdez buddy today at lunch. He said the fishing sucks and this is the worst he has seen in 20 years. He said there were some in the harbor but the ones in the arm are pretty spead out and few and far between.

I was there two weeks ago and the silvers were just coming in and we did pretty good from the bank. My buddy was there last week and limited out for three days. He spoke to the guys that freelance process your fish at the dock and they all said everyone stops fishing after the commercial boats drop net, but there's a lot of good fishing to be had. I'm rolling down tomorrow and fishing for a few days from the shore. Either way its still a great place to go and try my luck.

Nice. Let us know how you do.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepphamilee View Post
    I was there two weeks ago and the silvers were just coming in and we did pretty good from the bank. My buddy was there last week and limited out for three days. He spoke to the guys that freelance process your fish at the dock and they all said everyone stops fishing after the commercial boats drop net, but there's a lot of good fishing to be had. I'm rolling down tomorrow and fishing for a few days from the shore. Either way its still a great place to go and try my luck.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

We weren't able to make it down, but I am anxious to hear from jeephamilee.

Went there labor day, awesome drive silvers were jumping everywhere including right at your feet. Alison point? 1st time there, pulled out 5. lost too many due to count. looong drive but was worth it then not sure how much its changed since then. May consider another run next week if anyone has an update.

Default it was worth it

fish 1.jpgfish 2.jpg

It was worth it. Fish look good and I caught my limit 3 days in a row in about an hour. Pixies one day and mepps spinners the other two.

Where were you fishing?

Allison point right by the little boat slip off the main parking area and over in the harbor and near the boat launch.

Think they are still there?