Thread: Canoe Advice

Default Canoe Advice

I think I may be looking for a canoe that doesn't exist but thought I would ask. My family of 4 became a family of 5 this past May (8 year old, 4 year old and 3 month old). When we were a group of 4 we could manage to pack all our gear for a 3-5 day trip in our Wenonah Sundowner. This past weekend we managed to fit the five of us into the canoe for a 3 day trip in Tangle Lakes. But it was very tight and wouldn't have worked had we paddled in much further than we did.

So I am looking for a canoe that will fit all of us and our gear. I've paddled trippers in the past and I think a 172 will give us more room than the Sundowner but don't know if it will be enough extra room to be worth buying one. Any ideas? Or do we just move on to a raft until the kids are old enough to really help paddle and we move onto two canoes.

We aren't attempting anything epic just trips in areas like Tangle Lakes, Nancy Lakes,...flat water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAMIAK View Post
    I think I may be looking for a canoe that doesn't exist but thought I would ask. My family of 4 became a family of 5 this past May (8 year old, 4 year old and 3 month old). When we were a group of 4 we could manage to pack all our gear for a 3-5 day trip in our Wenonah Sundowner. This past weekend we managed to fit the five of us into the canoe for a 3 day trip in Tangle Lakes. But it was very tight and wouldn't have worked had we paddled in much further than we did.

So I am looking for a canoe that will fit all of us and our gear. I've paddled trippers in the past and I think a 172 will give us more room than the Sundowner but don't know if it will be enough extra room to be worth buying one. Any ideas? Or do we just move on to a raft until the kids are old enough to really help paddle and we move onto two canoes.

We aren't attempting anything epic just trips in areas like Tangle Lakes, Nancy Lakes,...flat water.

Thanks
    Personally, I would look at getting a 2nd canoe. The 8 year old should be plenty big enough to help out with the paddling. Anything big enough to handle a 5 person group is going to be a pain to move around otherwise. With the family growing quickly, it won't be that long before you won't have any more use for the newly bought bigger boat and you will still have to buy one or two smaller ones to split up into. Also, having a 2nd canoe on the trips will allow one or more of the kids to take one out and "play" around, whether just paddling or fishing themselves and you will have one available to lend assistance if needed.

Just my thoughts, but you know your family better than anyone so would know their abilities.

Old Town makes a 20 ft. model that would paddle just fine with your large group. Wide paddles like the whiskey jack would help propel the canoe much better than skinny paddles. Since you mentioned mostly lake trips, this canoe would still grow with you for river trips too. Portaging in the Nancy Lakes may be an arduous task so a set of canoe wheels would be a definite. Otherwise "n" that..........might be time to step up to a motored freighter canoe! Here's the link to this Tripper XL:
    http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/e...ripper_xl.html

I looked at the Tripper XL but it seemed like portaging it solo would be difficult at best. Two canoes is probably the route we will take. Our oldest is certainly capable of paddling in the bow of one and then one if us solo paddles the other (at least for now). A freighter is also an option but have zero experience with them. A friend threw out the idea of towing a 'trailer' filled with our packs. Anyone ever tried to tow something in a canoe, doesn't really seem like an option.

it can be dun, but not easy what works best is a side by side with space between an make it so you can seperate them with out a lot of problems the towing of canoes on an old post onthis forum

I Think Sid might be talking about using a motor. I have never paddled and towed another canoe, but I have towed a single seater Folbot (kayak type) behind a canoe. When my boys got older we used to take one folbot with us and one of them would paddle it until they gor tired, then we would tow it. It worked ok, but I think is would be better to have 2 canoes. That 20 ft Oldtown would be nice too.

you are correct about a motor driven canoe I don't paddle one unless I am fishing to cover, water it is a lot faster with a motor

i would 2nd getting 2nd canoe. until the kids get a bit bigger, you can catamaran the boats together very easily. just cut a couple poles and use ropes to tie them down to the carry handle up front and the center thwart. you can can all paddle together. or, if you have the bucks get a little outboard and push yourselves around the lakes. once the kids get bigger you can always sell any extra canoe or the outboard. trying to sell a huge 4/5 person canoe would be a bit more difficult.

the other great advantage to the cat setup is that it will provide a very very stable platform for your kids. also, its not hard to disassemble to to portage the boats as needed, say between the lakes on tangles.

i can highly recommend the motor shown in the link below. go with a 4 cycle as it is MUCH quieter than the 2 cycle and MUCH MUCH better on gas usage. 2HP will be plenty to push you guys around the lakes.

http://www.ioutboardmotors.com/20hpoutboard4cycle.html

I've used the Old Town Tripper XL by myself. The handling wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it is tough for long portage. When my kids were small my wife and I would lash our two Penobscots together by tying two pieces of wooden handrail across the thwarts. It worked great on lakes and slow rivers. Towards the end I even rigged a sail for lake travel. Now they're older so they take the canoes and leave me at home.