Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad round in factory box of ammo

Default Bad round in factory box of ammo

The round on top is a 300 RUM. There was 18 other ones just like it in my newly purchased box of ammo. The round on the bottom is a 300 WM sized to the length of a 300 RUM. The bad round fit into my rifle but I could tell something was wrong. I normally don't look at every round out of a factory box of ammo before I put in my rifle. May be I should start. What I am wondering is if the round on the bottom in the picture was fired out of a 300 RUM would there have been problems? What do you guys think?
    bad cartridge.jpg

That's not good! I suspect that had you fired the round it would have split and you would have seen how well your rifle handles gas coming back through the bolt and action.

Definitely advise the manufacturer. This is something they need to fix in their quality control system.

I guess that I should have said that I would have never fired the bad round knowingly, but it did make it into my rifle unknowingly.

Were it not for the long OAL on the 300wm I would have bet that it happened in the store by a customer opening the box and comparing the two round. That is really weird! Glad you found it before your firing pin did!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    The round on top is a 300 RUM. There was 18 other ones just like it in my newly purchased box of ammo. The round on the bottom is a 300 WM sized to the length of a 300 RUM. The bad round fit into my rifle but I could tell something was wrong. I normally don't look at every round out of a factory box of ammo before I put in my rifle. May be I should start. What I am wondering is if the round on the bottom in the picture was fired out of a 300 RUM would there have been problems?
    bad cartridge.jpg
    What do you think would have happened?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    What do you think would have happened?
    I guess that was kind of a dumb question. I would have bet there would have been problems. This has opened my eyes though. I will now be inspecting each round that goes into my rifle.

I would believe that this happened in the store ( where you by it ) allways see people opening boxes of ammo to look
    check compare .

With the differences in bolt diameter and one being a belted round, the chamber diameter and the headspace would most surely be improper and the COAL isn't close.With BOTH rounds being modern high-pressure cartridges; My guess is you would have had a carastrophic case failure which would have damaged you and destroyed your gun. But if you wish to try it get a long piece of 550# cord and duct tape the rifle to a tree; give the old redneck yell "Ya'll watch this" and yank the cord. " Just KIDDING"
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    I would believe that this happened in the store ( where you by it ) allways see people opening boxes of ammo to look
    check compare .
    Definitely didn't get swapped at the store. A 300 WM is not supposed to be the same length as a 300 RUM. These two rounds are the identical length.
    bad cartridge.jpg

My guess is on monday morning, the guy changing the dies at the factory missed some of the brass from previous loading. Or QC pulled the brass off the line to check weight ect, then dropped it back into the wrong feed tray. Odd balls show up ever now an then with factory ammo. Once we got a whole case of 30-06 with a headstamp of 45 ACP. Also got a case of ammo with NO PRIMERS! (everything else looked good on those rounds.) These types of incidents are just another reminder to check your ammunition before you go on the hunt. Not only to make sure it's right for the firearm, but that it looks like all the rest. Remember teaching your kids the game, "which one looks different from all the rest?"

What might have happened? -- if it fired, the brass would have tried to fireform to the chamber. Or more likely the round would have been pushed forward with the firing pin and you would have just missed your chance at filling the freezer with a "click" instead of a bang!

Chris

Another possibility is that some body took a box of their screwed - up reloads to the store to get a refund on the ammo. And the store didn't look close and handed out some cash, and put the ammo on their shelf. We, as businesses, see this more and more all the time. And some of the people will look you in the eye and say "it's all factory ammo, never been opened." ("Yeah, Riiight"- as Bill Cosby would say) Most stores will NOT make refunds on ammo for just that reason. And yes, the store is fully responsible if they turn around and sell it to somebody else. (or should that be in the foot?)

Chris

what brand of ammo was it? I have had issues with remington rounds in the past thats why I strictly shoot my OWN handloads. And as far as returned ammo I have never known anywhere that took it back once it was purchased,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    what brand of ammo was it? I have had issues with remington rounds in the past thats why I strictly shoot my OWN handloads. And as far as returned ammo I have never known anywhere that took it back once it was purchased,
    The box of ammo is Remington power level 3 180 gr Swift Scirrocos (sp) in 300 RUM. I also have never known a store to take back a box of ammo once its left the front door.

If you bought it in a retail store there's a good chance that a previous customer swapped rounds in a couple of boxes while comparing them. Happens all the time, and it's the reason lots of stores won't let customers open the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If you bought it in a retail store there's a good chance that a previous customer swapped rounds in a couple of boxes while comparing them. Happens all the time, and it's the reason lots of stores won't let customers open the boxes.
    Look how far out the 300 win bullet is seated out. That doesn't look like any factory 300WM load to me. I don't see this being a simple swap but agree that it is either a reload returned as factory ammo or a factory error.

The 300 win is not a factory load.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Definitely didn't get swapped at the store. A 300 WM is not supposed to be the same length as a 300 RUM. These two rounds are the identical length.bad cartridge.jpg
    I may be missing something, but I don't understand. Both the case and the cartridge pictured on the bottom are shorter than the case and cartridge pictured on top, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I may be missing something, but I don't understand. Both the case and the cartridge pictured on the bottom are shorter than the case and cartridge pictured on top, right?
    The picture is deceiving, they are both the same OAL. Look where the bullet is seated.

The picture is deceiving, they are both the same OAL. Look where the bullet is seated.
    The OAL doesn't look the same to me at all. The base of the lower, smaller cartridge is far to the left of that of the larger cartridge, and the tip of the smaller cartridge (even with the weird seating) is far to the right of the larger one. Maybe a pic of them standing up side-by-side would help.What is printed on the bottom Remington factory case: "300 Win" or "300 RUM"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast