Thread: Prince of Wales Island - Real Estate

Default Prince of Wales Island - Real Estate

Hi All -

Just found this site and I love it already. I'm from the Midwest, but all my life I've been dreaming about moving up to Alaska once I got older. I'm still only in my 30s, so a few years away from retirement. But I've been thinking more and more about buying some vacant land up in the Prince of Wales Island area for the future. I'm just looking for an acre or three on the water. No access needed (except for boat). And maybe over the next 20 years, I'd be traveling up there a couple times a year and eventually build a cabin to live in.

I've been looking around the internet for real estate sites, however I haven't had much luck. http://www.alaskaislandrealty.com/ has been the only one I've really found and they don't have much on their site. Maybe there's just not that much land for sale up there at this time.

Do any of you know who I might get in touch with or where to look? Also, what are prices for vacant land like this? I'm thinking $25K - $50K or so depending on the location.

I'll be heading up to the area next year, so by that time I'd definitely like to get in touch with someone who can show me around.

Thanks for any insight,
    Erik

I used to live on POW. Real estate is expensive if you purchase near Craig/Klawock area. Land prices are more reasonable the further north on the island you go. Expect to pay close to $100,000 + for property on ocean in Craig area (Port St. Nicholas rd. especially). There are definitely more remote areas north on the water that are less expensive and beautiful. Road system north is not paved and mostly older logging type roads.

I know a realtor who might be able to help you. She is North of the island but in Ak that doesn't make much difference. Liz Spikes, Remax, 907-232-9131. She got my place closed in a week which is some kind of record up here. Call her, good luck, she can help you.