Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Sue water

Default Big Sue water

I am told the water is dropping in the Big Sue. I was going to make a run down the river tosee a friend next week but with me running a prop I donít know if i can. I will be going out of the Deshka Landing onabout Sunday and coming back up on tue/wed. O yeah.... the reason I am going is because I just had shoulder surgerylast week.... so I can hunt and I am going out of my mind sitting in thehouse!!! Anyone that can give me a haeds up on what the river is doing, it would be nice. thanks

Yea, the water is dropping, but the Big Su isn't your primary problem... getting across the silt build up at the mouth of the landing will be your biggest problem right now.....

Last Monday it was interesting watching boats come back to the landing and deal with the sandbar. Those that knew cruised right in and shut down power after the bar was crossed, those that didn't began to pile up blocking traffic coming and going.
    Be careful.
    BK

Water is dropping like a rock down here at Alexander. I doubt Five Fingers is doable now. Pulled two inboards off of sandbars last weekend and Its lower now!

I am heading out of the Deshka Landing today for the Yentna with a bigger 24' jet boat. other then the mouth of the landing is there anything to worry about with water level's? Do they typically drop off suddenly this time of year?
    Thanks
    Will

Yes! with cooler temps the the glaciers release less water, there is no snowmelt from mountains left. Unless it rains fairly often the water tends to drop steadily this time of year. It wont be long and the only way to launch from Deshska is from the point on the right side. This is the time of year that it gets interesting in big boats. I am running around in my 5" tunnel with a 40 hp four stroke now. My back is tired from helping others get unstuck so Im going to play it safe!

Quote Originally Posted by willster33 View Post
    I am heading out of the Deshka Landing today for the Yentna with a bigger 24' jet boat. other then the mouth of the landing is there anything to worry about with water level's? Do they typically drop off suddenly this time of year?
    Thanks
    Will
    I came back Tuesday from about mi 17 on the Yentna... (above the big bend) no problems to speak of... in the main channels...but those rivers can change a lot in 2 days...

I am at least committed to going out and retrieving my tent so I hope I am not completely hosed, I think I will go and pack up and return Home.
    Thanks
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by willster33 View Post
    I am at least committed to going out and retrieving my tent so I hope I am not completely hosed, I think I will go and pack up and return Home.
    Thanks
    Will
    Will,
    other then the launch, the river is pretty doable with prop well into Sept and as long as we do not see more then 24 hours of freezing temps, October can be pretty doable almost to freeze up. As the levels lower the main channel becomes more evident and sticking to it is the key. I use to hunt the last week of Sept. when the moose hunt was open and ran it with my wheeler in the boat and on prop.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Water is dropping like a rock down here at Alexander. I doubt Five Fingers is doable now. Pulled two inboards off of sandbars last weekend and Its lower now!
    When you say you doubt it's doable do you mean for the average guy or do you mean for even for me??? That could change your chances of getting a bottle of rum in about a week... But if you get me stuck the bottle will be empty by the time you see it so choose your words wisely!

You could choose the better part of valor and go thru Dynomite slough but thats not likely. Back is sore from pulling out two inboards already so if you get stuck before you get me the Rum then what reason would I have to get you unstuck? Of course the two inboards that were stuck involved stupidity (ask Vick). I highly doubt a man of your caliber would have found himself in their position. Now, mind you that this was LAST weekend and the water is way lower now. Went thru five fingers today in the tunnel. Fingers are fine but its lower on the West channel that will get you. Tell you what a lot can change in a week so get back with me. Right now I wouldnt do it. Not worth it. Also, have you thought about just dropping the Rum off at Trail Ridge Air? I'll get it sooner or later! :0)

Where is the fun of buying a man a bottle of rum and not hand delivering it? I just got off the phone with Vic and he is headed out tomorrow it sounds. Curious if he goes through. Tried to call you but your too stuck up to answer. I will check back with ya next week and see how it is. It might be the first year I have to do dynamite slough...

Fiber optics was damaged on MTA tower so you wont get thru right now. Hopefully Vick makes it. We will see. At least your smart enough to answer!

Also Vick will be easy to rescue, I'll just go across the rivere and put his Ruffneck in the water. I'll run it up to him and drop it off and have Nancy give me a ride back. The rest is up to him!

I'm heading next week from Deshka to near the Gas Line 10-day trip. Any advice on how that run is at current water levels?

That shouldn't be a problem at all. It's the west channel that gets sketchy in a hurry. As the water drops, more and more short cuts get passed but the water in the main channel does great. You must be moose hunting, havn't heard any good reports from the area yet but good luck and hope you do good.

Waters up in the creek almost a foot, the West Channel went up about 6 inches. Wont last long with no rain tho. Vick made it in and he brought me a half gallon of rum! No moose have been taking that I've heard but usually slow till the latter part of the season anyway. Not much hunting pressure to speak of. Went over to the east channel and by the gas line and never saw a boat.

got a note from the landing folks this morning. Water is dropping and, as mentioned above, the tricky part is the landing sand bar. On step before and after and you should be good. You can always use the low water launch as well.

kevin

Thanks for the info guys... will be down in that area after the 15th for our moose hunt. My party monitors vhf, if anyone needs anything.

Were channel 11 on the cb. We talk to the oldtimers around nine every morning. Good luck with your hunt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast