Thread: How far up Cook Inlet ?

Default How far up Cook Inlet ?

How far up the Cook Inlet do people catch Halibut? Anybody out there with a catch around Fire Island?

Can't really help you too much there. I lived in Anchorage for 18 years and I NEVER heard of anyone going out of the boat launch there after halibut. Of course maybe they know something we don't know and just did a really good job of hiding it. But I do know people catch them as far up as the Kenai. I used to stay at Beaver Creek cabins every year and the people that owned it routinely took their boat out of the mouth of the Kenai around the high tide mark a mile or so and pulled in halibut. Nothing BIG, but halibut nonetheless.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I've never fished out of Anchorage, but there is a reason you don't see people heading out from Anchorage for Halibut. For halibut you need bait fish, and for bait fish you need the right type of bottom. Upper cook inlet is basically a giant mud pit, not to say there might not be some bait fish, but most fish are transitting through the area to spawn.

I've heard of fish being take off of Kalgin Island, which is across the inlet from Kenai, but nothing farther north.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Many (maybe 25?) years ago I used to catch halbut in maybe 50 feet of water at the mouth of the Kenai in the spring. I assume they were there feeding on hooligan. I was told that the fishing was good further north but I never need to go that far.

Thank guys, I was talking to a freind that was trying fire island and I havn't heard of anything being caught, but he aparently talked to someone that used to catch then toward the su. Its alway fun to drop a hook to see if theres anything that would bite though.