Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Berries!

Default No Berries!

I've been several different places in the Kenai mountains so far this fall looking for black bears and I've not seen a single blueberry. The bushes have leaves that are very yellow and missing pieces, either chewed or just deteriorated. Also seen very few crow berries and just slightly more low bush cranberries.

Any thoughts or insight on what causes such a wide spread terrible berry crops?

Associated question, how are the bears going to react to this? Stay out of the mountains, eat different things in the mountains or???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

A strong berry season this year around the valley. Wonder why the Kenai area is lacking. As far as I have seen, we both had a
    Similar weather forecast most of the summer.

I blame the commercial guys.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Poor berry picken on Wrangell.We got some early and though maybe a bumper crop this year but summer never came and early is all we got,maybe 12 quarts
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I blame the commercial guys.
    I knew it!

There are no berries in my favorite spot in Kodiak this year either. There were tons on the north slope of the brooks though so go figure?

Lots in the valley, and tons on the Denali highway

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.245023,-148.241623

You must have just found a bad area. The bushes down in Homer are loaded. In fact I dont think I've ever seen so many blueberries as I saw over in the K-Bay State Park last month. Lots of bear trails through the bushes and even saw one from about 150 yards.....close enuf when you don't have a boom stick.

the blueberries ( highbush) are not bad down in timbered areas. might be keeping the bears down lower this year.

There has been a bad outbreak of caterpillars/moths in areas of Southcentral over the past two years. If you search the Alaska Dispatch website you'll find some pretty interesting articles about the outbreak. They predicted that it would negatively impact the blueberry crop, and from what I've seen, they were spot on (unfortunately).

We also have no high bush blueberries. However the blackberries and raspberries are plenty full.

Guess I am not looking in the right places in the Valley as for the 2nd year now I have not gotten any berries. We usually pick them up Hatcher Pass and just like last year, there is not a single berry to be seen. At our property up near Lake Creek, our bushes there are bare as well.

We got into a monster patch last weekend in the talkeetnas. Most of the area had been hit with a frost at some point and the were shriveled but one draw out of the wind but in the sun was a carpet of blue! We were hunting and had taken off from wheelers about a mile and several thousand vertical feet away with no water or food chasing a moose. Moose was sublegal so we sat, glassed and ate em by the handful.

My take is that there are good patches but you have to search out spots that offer wind protection but still plenty of sun. Lots of bushes out there with no fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    There are no berries in my favorite spot in Kodiak this year either. There were tons on the north slope of the brooks though so go figure?
    We've never seen so many salmon berries as we did this year on Kodiak.

Gigantic and delicious!
    Proud to be an American!

I spent most of the summer on the north side of the Peninsula (Pilot Point). I've never experienced so few mosquitoes and other bugs. I'm guessing it's lack of pollination. I would be curious to know how the berry crop is?

Default lots

I've never seen larger or more blueberries than I have this year. Wow!

Can't say where, or I'd have to kill ya.

9:AM Friday Sept. 9, 2011

I can see (6) Six Black Bears on the hillside eating black berries, and last night the little one from the Bay was in the neighbors yard eating grass & devils club berries as we ate Mexican (No one you would know, Hehehehehe), and tested some tequila & watched Football.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I've never seen larger or more blueberries than I have this year. Wow!

Can't say where, or I'd have to kill ya.
    Safeway is no big secret...

AGL4now, better open the doors to the TACO stand. With a posting of 6 BB on the hillside here they come.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    AGL4now, better open the doors to the TACO stand. With a posting of 6 BB on the hillside here they come.
    Whack'em & Stack'em hunters. Clearly the spring hunters missed a few bears. I could use a hind 1/4 off one of those berry eaters, but I'll never hike up there if I have to pack down the skull & or hide, I don't need a hind 1/4 that bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast