Thread: Alternate fishing areas

Default Alternate fishing areas

Hi folks; we're usually on the Kenai about mid-july thru early august. I was wondering about branching out a little and exploring some other places to fish; was thinking about driving to Valdez (never been there) and dragging our 16' river boat there; what can fishing be like there that time of year & and is it worth the effort and safe enough to use that boat in the Valdez area (I'm thinking silvers, but not sure of the run timing)? We'll probably haul the boat to Seward and putt around in the bay, I think silvers sometimes are in closer to town that time of year, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think we'll also visit Hope (never been there, either!) on the way to an Anchorage city trip and maybe drop by Bird Creek & Ship creek while we're in town. Geez, I don't think there's enough hours in a day! While I'm scattering myself all over southcentral Alaska, has anybody tried flurocarbon leaders in the fishing hole for silvers (Homer)? Seems like the silvers are shy in there the longer they're in there; last year I fished next to a guy who had it all figured out; he stand on the rocks where the tide floods in, have a pocket of plug cut herring; double hook setup (mootching rig?); soon as the tide would start flooding in, he'd drift that setup right in the current and let it drift/spin the herring; BAM---3 silvers right in a row in about 10 minutes! I fished next to him with a rented spinning rod (shame on me----never get in your car/truck without a rod, reel, etc. with you in Alaska!) and vibrax; caught 1 small silver and that's it. Next year going with lighter rod/reel/line, or camping there for hours to get that spot! Haven't figured out that "lining" thing, either! Anyway; sorry to get sidetracked! Most interested in road trips/fishing to:
    Seward, Hope, Valdez, Anchorage! (Maybe I need more than 3 weeks?!)
    Jim

Default Options...

Ah, you've listed a lot of winners, and taking a break from the frenzy of the Kenai might be very enjoyable for you.

Personally, I have always enjoyed Hope. There's not a lot of old AK left on the road system and idling through the main drag of an authentic gold mining community always left me with a smile. So too, did the the water. I loved the ease in fishing for the pinks at Resurrection Creek, and I always found myself wandering right down to the mouth while enjoyoing the view of Turnagin Arm and the mountains beyond.

Hope was my picnic spot. I would usualy pull out a salmon I had smoked the evening before, and it always delighted me to gave away portions of the extra salmon I also smoked to the persons I was destined to meet.

There is a stunning drive above this community that reveals the orgins of what flows. I've easliy reached it by car, and to this very day I will stick in the video of what I produced that remarkable day.

There can be so many fish in Hope that you can lay beside a stream bank and pet them. Yeah, I've done that too. I also carry around the scar tissue at the base of my right pinky finger where a stingling nettle wailed the daylights out me in Hope 1988.

There is a picture of me in this setting where I'm squatting before a collander of rinsed salmon eggs with that dramatic background behind me. It's an 8 X 10" black and white, and the look on my face could not have been more serene. I've told my wife that when I croak and leave this Earth, that is picture I want left out during my wake for all my friends to see.

Hope could not have left me any happier...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Lots'o'great spots on the parks hwy Jim. The Glen hwy between palmer and glen allen is sparse as far as river fishin gose but from geln allen to valdez theres more fishing than can be listed here. If ya have never been the Denali hwy has some great grayling fishing and is totaly different than South central(high country with lots of areas in tundra) Get a hold of the book "The highway angler" I think it's by Gunner Anderson, lists almost all of the road access fishing in the state with good directions his ratting systems a little off sometimes but it's a good resource.

The Highway Angler is by Gunnar Pederson (and I may have spelled his last name wrong).

Nope yoou hit it right on the money Carholio, Thanks

Default and when I die.....

.....my ashes are to be scattered in Resurection Creek. No kidding, those are the instructions I have put in my will. Thanks to Alaskan Author and his book I discovered Hope a few trips back and it has "taken me" as well. I will probably start this years adventures with a trip to Hope. The neat thing in Alaska is that it is ALL GOOD! Valdez ...a beautiful road trip indeed; Parks Highway...if your lucky some breath taking views of the "Great One". I have found no disapointment anywhere I have been in Alaska....so much to see, smell, feel, and touch, and fish to catch....and so little time!

You have to try Whittier. Shore and boat fishing for silvers are a good bet that time of year, but a short boat ride out to Shotgun Cove is recommended.