Thread: Great Cutco warranty

Default Great Cutco warranty

I just put this same thread in the saltwater fishing thread, but for the first time ever, I'm posting in duplicate. My apologies if this isn't normally allowed, but my reason for doing so is I know there are a lot of you out there that love the Cutco hunting knives, and based on my recent experience, I know hunters would appreciate knowing Cutco's warranty isn't just talk. They stand behind their products. It's also fun putting a positive thread out there for folks to read too.

I bought their fishermans solution filet knife about 4-5 years ago, and I've almost exclusively cleaned all my fish since then with this knife. To sum it up, I like the knife. Then I was laying off halibut filets a few weeks ago, and when I was flexing the knife to make my first pass at laying off a filet, the blade snapped! It broke flush with the handle. I did not have the blade extended, and I was putting the normal amount of pressure on the blade, which isn't much since excessive pressure isn't needed and can actually work against you.

So with that said, I was of course bummed, but I contacted Cutco first and then sent the knife back to them for replacement under their "forever guarantee". I included a note explaining what happened and that I'm not a novice user because they also have a plan for replacement when a failure is a result of abuse or misuse, but under that plan, the owner pays 1/2 the replacement cost.

They didn't flinch. I would have been happy if they just replaced the blade, but they sent me back a completely new knife & sheath! Good for them!

Here's a picture of the broken knife.

Cutco is great with warranties, we had to send back one of there hunting knives(a 10-15yr old one,heavily used) to get the tip of the blade repaired. Got it back and they had sent us a brand new knife and sheath. They make some nice knives, i'm also a fan of there Kabar/Becker line of knives.

I understand what you are saying, but it should not have broken in the first place. I use a "kind of cheap" Western filet knife given to me by my brother and there is no warranty since the company has shut down, but it has not broken. I do not expect that it will, since Western knives in my experience are bullet proof.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I just put this same thread in the saltwater fishing thread, but for the first time ever, I'm posting in duplicate. My apologies if this isn't normally allowed, but my reason for doing so is I know there are a lot of you out there that love the Cutco hunting knives, and based on my recent experience, I know hunters would appreciate knowing Cutco's warranty isn't just talk. They stand behind their products. It's also fun putting a positive thread out there for folks to read too.

I bought their fishermans solution filet knife about 4-5 years ago, and I've almost exclusively cleaned all my fish since then with this knife. To sum it up, I like the knife. Then I was laying off halibut filets a few weeks ago, and when I was flexing the knife to make my first pass at laying off a filet, the blade snapped! It broke flush with the handle. I did not have the blade extended, and I was putting the normal amount of pressure on the blade, which isn't much since excessive pressure isn't needed and can actually work against you.

So with that said, I was of course bummed, but I contacted Cutco first and then sent the knife back to them for replacement under their "forever guarantee". I included a note explaining what happened and that I'm not a novice user because they also have a plan for replacement when a failure is a result of abuse or misuse, but under that plan, the owner pays 1/2 the replacement cost.

They didn't flinch. I would have been happy if they just replaced the blade, but they sent me back a completely new knife & sheath! Good for them!

Here's a picture of the broken knife.

Norm, I'm sure Cutco agrees that the knife should not have broken, and that's why they replaced the knife for free.