Thread: Cutco stands behind their warranty

Default Cutco stands behind their warranty

Just a quick post (that I'll put on the hunting forum too) about how Cutco did a good job standing behind their product. I bought their fishermans solution filet knife about 4-5 years ago, and I've almost exclusively cleaned all my fish since then with this knife. To sum it up, I like the knife. Then I was laying off halibut filets a few weeks ago, and when I was flexing the knife to make my first pass at laying off a filet, the blade snapped! It broke flush with the handle. I did not have the blade extended, and I was putting the normal amount of pressure on the blade, which isn't much since excessive pressure isn't needed and can actually work against you.

So with that said, I was of course bummed, but I contacted Cutco first and then sent the knife back to them for replacement under their "forever guarantee". I included a note explaining what happened and that I'm not a novice user because they also have a plan for replacement when a failure is a result of abuse or misuse, but under that plan, the owner pays 1/2 the replacement cost.

They didn't flinch. I would have been happy if they just replaced the blade, but they sent me back a completely new knife & sheath! Good for them!

Here's a picture of the broken knife.

Excellent news. I have that same knife and really like it, I also have a five of their kitchen knives and have been very happy with them. Great warranty, made in AMERICA and high quality. What more is their to ask for ?

FYI, this company has been featured on "Modern Marvels" cable program and has the reputation as being considered the "sharpest knife made".

I too have a Fisherman's Solution, and have had it and loved it for nearly ten years now. I have sharpened my blade so many times now, and not being extremely proficient at it, it doesn't look all that great, and finally last year I was no longer able to get a good super sharp edge back on it. People told me that I could simply break the blade and send it back to Cutco, however, I am not one to cheat the system, nor could I lie about what happened to the blade. So, I bought a new blade from the Cutco rep at the boat show up here this spring for if I recall, $25. Now, I still like it, but the blade does not appear to be manufactured from the same material my original blade was made from. It does not seem to keep an edge as long as the original blade, nor can I get it as sharp as my old blade. Rather than lie and send in my old blade, I think I will now find a proffessional to restore it for me if possible. Don't get me wrong, I still like the knife a lot, but it is just not apparantly the same as they used to be. However, I like the extendable feature so much (and Cutco) I would still buy another one though.

Yep, I concur. They are a bit more money (around $70 for that knife), but I too have replaced at least three blades over the years without any complaint from them. They will even sharpen them for free if you want, although I have never taken them up on this offer.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I had one break in exactly the same place while doing exactly the same thing. My knife was a gift, and it was engraved with my initials on the blade. I did not bother to call Cutco, I simply downloaded the form, mailed the knife and $6 to them, and had a brand new engraved replacement less than 1 week later. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    I had one break in exactly the same place while doing exactly the same thing. My knife was a gift, and it was engraved with my initials on the blade. I did not bother to call Cutco, I simply downloaded the form, mailed the knife and $6 to them, and had a brand new engraved replacement less than 1 week later. Highly recommended.
    Now that is impressive customer service ! I would never dream of getting an engraved replacement, that is clearly beyond any warranty obligations.

Imagine how much improved our economy would be if there were more American manufacturers standing behind their products so firmly.

I have two of them and was careless about washing the saltwater off and drying them and they rusted in the sheath. I sent them in and recieved two replacements. We have Cutco in our kitchen now. Love them. The steak knives are incredible.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Been looking around for one cause I've heard similarly good things about them. Were's the best place to buy one??

I just bought a couple more at www.cutco.com
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I bought mine from a dealer that had a stand set up outside the entrance to the Exchange on Elmendorf. Don't know if they still sell them there, but I'm sure Cutco would give you the name of a dealer or two in your area.

buy it locally and the guy will show up at your house to sharpen it every year.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I love my Cutco hunting knife. It has served me well. I like it being orange as its easy to see in the weeds as well

I read the posts above and had to get one. I took a chance and went down to the Women's show without the wife and they let me in. Did you know the Woman's Show is not for looking at women?!! I guess you can, some of them get mad though when you try look under the hood. I figured it would be like a boat show. Just saying stuff here. I really did go and buy a fillet knife at the Cutco stand in the show. It is a real nice knife. Thanks for the reviews.

After reading this post and seeing a picture of the knife I just realized I have one of these knives. I haven't used it, my Grandpa left it behind several years ago when he visited AK. I usually use gerber fillet knives, but I am going to have to try my cutco out next year.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation