Thread: Trigger work on a remington 700 SPS Varmit

Default Trigger work on a remington 700 SPS Varmit

The rifle shoots great, the only problem I have with it is the trigger pull is extremely heavy. Would it be better to have the factory trigger tuned, or buy a drop in and have a smith install it? I am looking for a 1.5 to 2 lb trigger pull. If after market is the way to go, which one is better Jewell, Timney, Rifle basics, etc.?

Kids been liking the rifle basix

What year is it? If it has the NEW X mark from the end of 2009 I believe or newer it is externally adjustable with a small allen key look on the actual trigger itself for a small hole. I have a 700 with this trigger and it is just as nice as my other 700 that has a Timney drop in.

I have the 700 SPS in .308, and it also has an adjustable trigger, via the same allen key adjustment. I agree, it's just as good as any aftermarket trigger. In fact I have been asked which aftermarket trigger I went with. It amazes people that it's a stock trigger.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the adjustable trigger so I have to go through a gunsmith. They say the drop ins are do it yourself, maybe other people trust themselves to not screw it up but I probably would so I'll have a smith do that too.

All my 700s are older ones with the trigger safetys that lock the bolt closed. I haven't hunted with them yet but I'm considering taking the 7mm Rem mag on my goat hunt. In past years I've always hunted with guns that lock the bolt like my Win 70.

When I went out yesterday on a short hunt my friend was carrying a newer 700 with the trigger that didn't lock the trigger. He managed to catch the bolt handle on brush several times and open the bolt accidently. We both agreed an open bolt was not a good situation on bear country.

Question is: can he fit an older Remington trigger that locks the bolt be fitted to a newer Remington or do any of the after-market triggers lock the bolt? For myself I'll continue to hunt with my rifles that lock the bolt closed!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

There is no trigger but Jewell.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

the only rem I have left I will not shoot again till I add a good trigger, not happy how rems can somtimes fire when opening or closeing the bolt on a loaded round, there's an issue that needs resolved with them if you don't believe me there's vids on youtube with them just going BANG! Anyone see the news last year where the mom in montana shot her kid in the head from this issue?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

D prefix to current G prefix serial numbered receiver bolts do not have the bolt lock safety machine cut in the bolt body under the handle.
    A Jewell trigger gives you an advantage as it is a 3 lever trigger group.
    The OEM Rem pre 2006 standard & post 2006 X Mark/Pro,Timney,Jard,Rifle Basix trigger groups are a 2 lever design.
    The CG Jackson is a 4 lever 2 stage design.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Older Rem. 700s that lock the bolt when the safety is on, have fully adjustable triggers.

They are very good triggers. You can adjust the one screw that has to do with the tension. That's the only one that I've ever messed with, myself, and it's a simle matter. I didn't wanna mess up the other adjustments.

Because of the "SAFETY ISSUE" I had both of mine professionally CLEANED, and adjusted to 3.5 lbs. by Gunsmith Stan Jackson. That's plenty light enough for me. Very light triggers are a problem in and of themselves, no matter what the brand or design.

I dunno how light you can get them, but I assume they CAN be adjusted to 1.5 to 2 lbs.

As far as I know, the only advantage of an after market trigger is, it would resolve the "safety issue", if that is a beeg concern for you.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You can adjust it yourself; I have. Just be patient and keep testing it. My advise would be to not try to go below 1.5 lbs. J.

IF, you need instructions from the internet on how to adjust a Remington trigger-
    Seek professional assistance.
    That is one reason Remington have accidental discharges,that and idiots not practicing muzzle control with fingers on triggers.

I have a SPS Tactical 223 and it came with the X mark pro, I hated it, slick thin trigger with a screw that when I adjusted it out to lighten the trigger, then I had my finger making contact with a set screw that was sticking out and annoying. I bought a Timney from Brownells for less than 140.00 and I couldn't be happier. That trigger is perfect. black instead of SS, wide instead of narrow and serrated vs slick, and it is adjustable down to literally nothing. I have a hair trigger on mine, but it is still safe, I can drop it hard on the butt plate and it never fires. Groups tightened alittle too. Get a Timney and don't look back, If your rich people say get a Jewel but I'll never own one.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Here ya go.

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/a...00trigger.html

I suggest, you try adjusting, ONLY the "trigger pull" screw for a little less tension.

That's all I've ever done, MYSELF. You should be able to get it down to 3.5 lbs. which is what I want.

If you have other issues afterwards, like creep, or inconsistency, then maybe go with the other adjustments, OR have it done by a gunsmith who knows enough to take it apart and CLEAN it, and re-adjust it.

I'm sure there are many, on this forum, that would have no problem adjusting that Remington trigger, safely. This is my advice, for someone like myself, without great skills and wanting to be prudent.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I have a SPS Tactical 223 and it came with the X mark pro, I hated it, slick thin trigger with a screw that when I adjusted it out to lighten the trigger, then I had my finger making contact with a set screw that was sticking out and annoying. I bought a Timney from Brownells for less than 140.00 and I couldn't be happier. That trigger is perfect. black instead of SS, wide instead of narrow and serrated vs slick, and it is adjustable down to literally nothing. I have a hair trigger on mine, but it is still safe, I can drop it hard on the butt plate and it never fires. Groups tightened alittle too. Get a Timney and don't look back, If your rich people say get a Jewel but I'll never own one.
    Us "rich" people would like to point out that were your nose not sticking so high up into the air you can't see your own shoelaces, you could buy a Jewell (the Best), for around $100 or so off eBay if you were patient. I bought one for my Winchester for $75.00. "Rich", yeah right. Smart is more correct.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...