Thread: Best Hunting & Fishing place to live in AK. on road system?

Default Best Hunting & Fishing place to live in AK. on road system?

OK, what is wonderful about where you live in Alaska, or even what is wonderful about where you would love to live in Alaska that is on the Road System. I posted this in a different thread, but feel the subject is stand alone quality for a new thread.

There are places you can drive to, that have a lot of top shelf fishing and hunting. This is even more valid if it is in a NO ATV allow area. I have excellent hunting and fishing in my own back or front yard, as do people who live in Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, Summit Lake (Kenai), and the very end of Funny River Road. Now factor in that just by living here, you get free subsistence caribou permit, 10 days advance moose subsistence permit, get to net 30 salmon at the Russian River Falls. There is Sooooo much good hunting & fishing here if you live here in lovely Sunrise, Alaska.

Paved State maintained Hope Road, My electric bill is $14.88 per month, I am part of the ACS phone system. There are a total of 14 humans who live here. Most everyone owns 5 to 20 acres, we all have our own shooting ranges. We are surrounded by the Chugach National Forest. If you can walk and don't need to own a ATV............this is heaven of earth. We are 55 minutes by ambulance to five hospitals (Seward, Soldotna, Anchorage) and good shopping in all three locations. Taxes are low, very low, I pay $322.-- total taxes on 15.6 acres and three buildings. Did I mention "World Class White Water Rafting". And Water Fowl hunting in the mouth of Six Mile Creek.

What do you do for work?

lol hes never worked a day in his life!

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Out2Pasture View Post
    What do you do for work?
    Retired: I never liked work.

You have a question mark on your thread topic, but obviously have no question in your mind that you live in the best place? So what is the use or purpose of this thread? <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    You have a question mark on your thread topic, but obviously have no question in your mind that you live in the best place? So what is the use or purpose of this thread? <shrug>
    It is a forum, everyone gets their say. So for those whom don't understand. The question mark is a open invitation to express your opinion on the subject. Yes, I did express my opinion. Now do you have an opinion or do you only do shallow, poorly veiled attempts to pretend you are intellectually superior. (Note: I accept that I am dumber than a stick, and quite proud of that reality). So you win.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is a forum, everyone gets their say. So for those whom don't understand. The question mark is a open invitation to express your opinion on the subject. Yes, I did express my opinion. Now do you have an opinion or do you only do shallow, poorly veiled attempts to pretend you are intellectually superior. (Note: I accept that I am dumber than a stick, and quite proud of that reality). So you win.
    I can honestly say, no I did not understand the questionmark as an open invitation. As for your deragatory remarks, I see no need in them...guess its another opinion your entitled to express.
    Now understanding the thread, I'll put in my .02.
    I think the Mat-Su Valley has alot of PRO's. Probably the most centrally located on the normal road system. I say normal excluding the haul road.
    -Fishing and hunting is locally available but within a couple-few hours your in more (often even better) fishing/hunting.
    -Toursist don't 'flock' to the Mat-Su.
    -Close enough to populated areas for work commute.
    -If its available in AK (parts, stuff, things), your are likely within an hour drive of getting it.
    -Not in a Big City, but you can live more in a urban atmosphere if you so choose.
    -Property and Property taxes are less than in a large city like Anchorage.
    - You can ATV/Snowmachine without having to trailer.

I hope you don't get a hoard of felonious immigrants moving into your Shangri La.

I personally like places like Copper Center, Tok, and Valdez better. I have often wondered about Skagway? Actually enough that I think I'll start a 2nd post.

I lived in Haines for seven years but will spend the rest of my time on Wrangell island.All the hunting fishing and just camping a man could ever need. bout twenty miles of paved road and a couple hundred miles of logging road.No property tax for over 65 or disabled vet.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I lived in Haines for seven years but will spend the rest of my time on Wrangell island.All the hunting fishing and just camping a man could ever need. bout twenty miles of paved road and a couple hundred miles of logging road.No property tax for over 65 or disabled vet.

But, but, but, nooooooo WallyWorld.

Default Road System?

Foul ball, Wrangell doesn't count unless we consider the Alaska Marine Highway on the road system .

Our roads have a system and go everywhere a sane person would want to go heck we even got a grid or off grid. Believe we would sink the first wallyworld barge that tried to dock.Every store is local mom and pop owned
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Our roads have a system and go everywhere a sane person would want to go heck we even got a grid or off grid. Believe we would sink the first wallyworld barge that tried to dock.Every store is local mom and pop owned

That's the same thing POW people say but you ought to see them file off the ferry every day and watch the progression of trucks heading out of town to WW. "D

Default M/V Walmart

That's funny. The IFA should rename the M/V Prince of Wales to M/V Walton and paint it Walmart Blue. Maybe put a big Walmart smily face on the stern. Anyone good with photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    [/B]
    That's the same thing POW people say but you ought to see them file off the ferry every day and watch the progression of trucks heading out of town to WW. "D

Excellent thread. And you, AGL4now,are fortunate.

All the reasons you posted are good ones and similar to a list most other happy hunting/fishing/hikiing Alaskans might post (not suggesting that a large group of Alaskans would agree completely mind you). But - and I enjoy these forums too - for the sake of discussion, if someone asked me the question, I'd point them to Anchorage. We might as well confine the unbridled population growth, and the problems that go with it - to one geographic region.

It's hard to argue (not impossible, as we just might see here) that population growth leads to a host of predictable problems characterized by more people vying for fewer resources. And... I think it's hard to argue that posting a secret fishing spot or details of one's personal Shangri La (thx vernak) is the worst thing you can do for information you'd prefer not get out. Not that we can really stop it.

Anchorage is the obvious and correct answer. We can keep things simple, eh? Heh heh (wink).

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OK, what is wonderful about where you live in Alaska, or even what is wonderful about where you would love to live in Alaska that is on the Road System. I posted this in a different thread, but feel the subject is stand alone quality for a new thread.

There are places you can drive to, that have a lot of top shelf fishing and hunting. This is even more valid if it is in a NO ATV allow area. I have excellent hunting and fishing in my own back or front yard, as do people who live in Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, Summit Lake (Kenai), and the very end of Funny River Road. Now factor in that just by living here, you get free subsistence caribou permit, 10 days advance moose subsistence permit, get to net 30 salmon at the Russian River Falls. There is Sooooo much good hunting & fishing here if you live here in lovely Sunrise, Alaska.

Paved State maintained Hope Road, My electric bill is $14.88 per month, I am part of the ACS phone system. There are a total of 14 humans who live here. Most everyone owns 5 to 20 acres, we all have our own shooting ranges. We are surrounded by the Chugach National Forest. If you can walk and don't need to own a ATV............this is heaven of earth. We are 55 minutes by ambulance to five hospitals (Seward, Soldotna, Anchorage) and good shopping in all three locations. Taxes are low, very low, I pay $322.-- total taxes on 15.6 acres and three buildings. Did I mention "World Class White Water Rafting". And Water Fowl hunting in the mouth of Six Mile Creek.
    Not wanting to be negative, your post sounded like an advertisement for selling land in Hope and you do have land for sale. Iím not saying there anything wrong with that you just make it sound too good to be true.