Thread: Best Hunting & Fishing place to live in AK. on road system.....?

Default Best Hunting & Fishing place to live in AK. on road system.....?

OK, what is wonderful about where you live in Alaska, or even what is wonderful about where you would love to live in Alaska that is on the Road System. I posted this in a different thread, but feel the subject is stand alone quality for a new thread.

There are places you can drive to, that have a lot of top shelf fishing and hunting. This is even more valid if it is in a NO ATV allow area. I have excellent hunting and fishing in my own back or front yard, as do people who live in Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, Summit Lake (Kenai), and the very end of Funny River Road. Now factor in that just by living here, you get free subsistence caribou permit, 10 days advance moose subsistence permit, get to net 30 salmon at the Russian River Falls. There is Sooooo much good hunting & fishing here if you live here in lovely Sunrise, Alaska.

Paved State maintained Hope Road, My electric bill is $14.88 per month, I am part of the ACS phone system. There are a total of 14 humans who live here. Most everyone owns 5 to 20 acres, we all have our own shooting ranges. We are surrounded by the Chugach National Forest. If you can walk and don't need to own a ATV............this is heaven of earth. We are 55 minutes by ambulance to five hospitals (Seward, Soldotna, Anchorage) and good shopping in all three locations. Taxes are low, very low, I pay $322.-- total taxes on 15.6 acres and three buildings. Did I mention "World Class White Water Rafting". And Water Fowl hunting in the mouth of Six Mile Creek.

Ok............
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Still trying to sell your place, eh?

My place is better as Los Anchorage can't drive here for weekend hunts..
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Still trying to sell your place, eh?
    Just 1/2 of it.........

which half?
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

For best on the road system, I'd have to seriously consider McCarthy or Coldfoot for best hunting, though both lack in the fishing department. Valdez offers great fishing and solid bear, deer, and goat hunting with not too long of a drive for moose and caribou. Paxson is pretty solid for both hunting and fishing. Sunrise? A nice place for sure, but not in my top five for best fishing and hunting locales. Besides, you keep talking a good game about your subsistence caribou and moose permits, but I've yet to see a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    which half?
    The back half.......

I'm happy living in the valley, we dint have the best fishing or hunting but it seems to be at the center of everything. U can head up the Glenn or the parks. A few hours of driving and u can be at an area that has plentiful fishing or hunting. Anchorage is just under an hour from my house if I need anything that I can't find in the valley. It's not a place where u can be to fishing or hunting grounds quickly, but u have plenty of options.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.241287,-148.244695

Default alaska

I think we should all move to the lower 48 as there is no game,or fish to be had in Alaska.I heard there is plenty of elk to be had in Colorado and less people.
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Keep it up, AGL. I'm 8 to 10 away from retirement (I hope) and I could be your neighbor!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have 2 years left until I retire from the military. My heart tells me I want to be near Copper Center or Tok. The reality is probably that we will end up in Fairbanks because of the job market.

Valdez would be ok, and so would a lot of places in SE, but of course you give up on moose and caribou.

I think a minimum of 200 miles away from Fairbanks and Anchorage puts you into some pretty remote roadside towns.