Thread: What would you do??

Default What would you do??

Okay, so here's my situation. I had originally planned a 7 day black bear hunt out in Day Harbor with a hunting partner from Colorado. As you know the weather has not been conducive for boating and it sounds like it's not going to get any better next week when we're planning our trip. I would really rather not waste any of my 7 days waiting for weather to clear up so I am looking at other options. It sounds like the transporter would be able to get us into Resurrection Bay regardless of weather (short of hurricane weather) so that's one option. I have also heard and read a lot about the Kenai mountain range (resurrection trail, 6 mile, etc.). We have planned to hike as far as it took back into Day Harbor area and neither hiking or equipment is an issue. I live in Wasilla, but do not mind driving as far as it takes and again hiking is not an issue (not looking to road hunt). I know it's moose season in much of the state, so I would rather get as far away from the general public as possible (I don't want to scratch someone's moose hunt shooting up bears in the same vicinity) I would really like the opportunity to take either a brown bear/ grizz or a black bear (or possibly both) and just need to know:
    • Would you wait the weather out for Day Harbor, take a chance on losing days (is it really full of bears?)
    • Would you take the transport to Resurrection Bay? (I would think there would be A LOT more people/hunters)
    • Would you just hunt the Resurrection trail area (Kenai Mtns)?
    OR

Do you have a completely new idea to throw out to me that would be a better option than any of the above (one where maybe I had a shot at a black or brown bear, since you cannot shoot a brown in Unit 7 without permit). Also if you have any "tips" one any of these areas (more specifics) please let me know. Again I have from the 15th-21st free of work so I'm open and like everyone I'm looking for the highest chance of success

Feel free to email me or I believe I can also receive PM's now. Email is atdymoke2@gmail.com
    Last edited by Atdymoke2; 09-07-2011 at 19:41. Reason: Forgot contact information

Kenai mountains appear to be nearly completely devoid of berries this year which has me thinking about finding somewhere else to go. I have a few friends that have been up several times already this year too and between us all I think we've seen a total of 4 bears, all sows with cubs.

Don'y know much about the other two options, sorry.

Thanks for the response limon! That lines up pretty well with what I'm reading. I thought I saw a post that listed the valley as being full of berries (or at least some areas in the valley). Curious if anyone else has a take on this?