Thread: My Nosler M48 TGR Custom 7mm08 is due in October :)

Default My Nosler M48 TGR Custom 7mm08 is due in October :)

The real big stuff I will opt for my 300Win mag and either the 180gr NF or the 220gr Partition. I need the spot that the 7x57mm was going to fill which Teach is not able to do until he gets his lath squared away so he and I will do some thing after the first of the year.

I have two important deer hunts one in Tennessee in Dec and one in Louisiana in January and I want to take a 7mm on these hunts. So I am going with the Nosler M48 TGR Custom in 7mm08. I had a custom 7mm08 20yrs ago, built off a Sako action and it was a tack driver. I remember one hunt in the delta of Mississippi north of Vicksburg, where this deer kept sticking his head up above a fallen tree at 205yds from me so I started counting and timing when he would lifted his head. When he did it the third time I put that bullet right at the base of his head where it joined the neck and I dropped him right there in his tracks, that was such a cool shot through those woods. So, as I said, I have a M48 TGR in 7mm08 going to be shipped to me in mid October, in time for my load work and have it ready for my hunts.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

funny how some shots stick with ya. i took a moose about 3 years ago at 330 yrds. first shot was fatal, so was the second, third, and fourth. any one of them would have done the trick, but all 4 dead on. he was between some small shrubs and backed up by trees and so was i and a huge meadow between us. i'll never forget.

i used to be keen on neck shots for deer, back when i was from the lower 48. your tack driving story of the "duck duck deer" was a good one. thanks for that and GOOD LUCK on your hunts w/that custom 7mm08! BT
    edit signature here

Thanks, I am looking forward to the hunts and the rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

They sure do look sweet on their website! I thought about selling a cpl of "safe Queens " and getting one but its sooo hard to part with friends!
    I have been eyeballing several guns looking for something in 308 that would be a knock around all weather gun of med - light weight. I know how much you like your Savage 116 - I have looked at the model 16's and am contemplating as I have not had a savage high power before. What do you like and dislike about your 116?
    Don't mean to derail your thread - I have one under stabilizing heavy 308 bullets if ya want to respond there!
    Hope you love your new toy when it arrives!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Mike, you are gonna love your new Nosler! I've been shooting a version of that rifle for 5 years now and it was worth every penny!

My other rifles got very lonely after I got that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    They sure do look sweet on their website! I thought about selling a cpl of "safe Queens " and getting one but its sooo hard to part with friends!
    I have been eyeballing several guns looking for something in 308 that would be a knock around all weather gun of med - light weight. I know how much you like your Savage 116 - I have looked at the model 16's and am contemplating as I have not had a savage high power before. What do you like and dislike about your 116?
    Don't mean to derail your thread - I have one under stabilizing heavy 308 bullets if ya want to respond there!
    Hope you love your new toy when it arrives!
    This should answer you question about the 116 FHSS, here is a link to my review of the rifle. http://ammoguide.com/?article=mhsp68/savage116fhss
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Mike, you are gonna love your new Nosler! I've been shooting a version of that rifle for 5 years now and it was worth every penny!

My other rifles got very lonely after I got that one.
    Yes, I might end up that way to some degree. I am suppose to right a review of the rifle after I use it on a couple of hunts.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS