Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud Lake today

Default Mud Lake today

Took my son out to Mud Lake to do some jump shooting today, only saw a single duck on the lake and that was it hit the water at 0700 and got out at 0830. Just thought I would share this.

Did you walk in? Since the lake dropped in depth two years ago the first lake has had almost no ducks on it and not even worth hunting. Get back to the other lake and you will do better. The first stretch after the boat launch has yielded some decent jump shooting in the past and walkable. Have to cross the little creek at boat launch though.

Took a canoe out, we saw one jump up and I kind of paddled around there but that was it. Still worth the bonding we had and enjoying the beauty. So the other lake as in Jim Lake? or the one below Mud Lake?

The other one below mud lake that follows through the channel. It's better jump shooting out there in the evening from what I've found. Kinda a long paddle and shallow at spots but doable.

Keep in mind that there is a huge amount of swamp out there and the birds can be sitting miles away from where you can get to easily/quickly.

Airman check your email for some info to go with that map.

Thanks buddy, I am hoping the wind will die down at first I was able to ride the current out but getting back to the launch became a long process. My son had so much fun he said he wants to go tomorrow so we are heading real early so we can be in a good spot by shooting time so we're going to hit it hard.

If you are going to setup dekes get as close to the back lake as you can or well into it. The birds that come to the first lake fly the tree line or head to west side of lake mostly.

Is there pintail on Mud Lake? If so my inexperience might have been why I thought there was no ducks,because I looked at Idder and realize now I might have seen a bunch of pintail sorry guys brand new to this.

Ive only ever seen one mated pair of pintail out there.

I am only learning, trying to learn as much as possible.

There are a lot of golden eyes and teal out there. I've shot spoonies, golden eyes, teal, mallards, and a redhead. Didnt shoot the pintail. Didnt know what to make of it. They look really weird in the air. More in awe at it so I didn't have time to shoot.

Hopefully I can find something tomorrow, I will take whatever I can but we'll see I'll post if I get anything on this thread wish me luck lol.

I don't think that is a good place to walk around jump shooting. Not a lot of places or trails to walk along where you arn't spending more time trying to get through the brush or the mud. If on foot, you could drive out to wasilla, off Fairview Loop and hunt the cottonwood creek area, lots of open ground, paths along the creek and other areas, and lots of ducks if you hit it right. Also drive to portage, the big parking lot on the left just past the wildlife park, and walk off from there folling the tracks or other trails, lots of jump shooting opportunities there. If you have a chance to go on a really windy day, it keeps the ducks flying looking for cover and often flying very low. Bud
    Wasilla

That is the problem, perfect duck weather, and I am stuck going to work!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

How legal is the Knik River Access, not the one off of Old Glenn but if you continue straight down Glenn coming from Anchorage instead of turning off torward Butte. I have looked around and haven't seen anything but did see signs saying the only shooting is hunting only.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanFirstClass View Post
    How legal is the Knik River Access, not the one off of Old Glenn but if you continue straight down Glenn coming from Anchorage instead of turning off torward Butte. I have looked around and haven't seen anything but did see signs saying the only shooting is hunting only.
    Its most use is for illegal bonfires for kids parties in the winter. All other activities are legal. However, it is not a river you want to launch a canoe into without a way to get it back up stream. You'll need a lift and some skill to deal with the mud/sand bars and debris. If running an outboard you will end up in some trouble if you suck too much silt into the water cooling system. It will eat an impellar in just a few hours if you are not watching where you are going.

You can use the canoe to access the Rabbit Slough route into the hay flats. Trunk Road exit. Two lefts then take the frontage road all the way around to the access point. Recommend going with someone that is familiar with the area to help get the canoe over the bank depending on the tide current in the slough. It can be dicey and is not a spot to play around in.

Oh I had no plans on hitting it I was just curious sometimes if I am on my way back from Wasilla I'll stop with my son and we will throw rocks on the water or just hang out and enjoy the outside for a bit. I have taken a canoe on the Gulf of Mexico back in Florida though, it was an adventure to say the least.

Not to hijack, but can you run a jet in the mud lake chain right now or is the water too low? And to be more specific is it advisable right now, I know some people will say no prob, but every time I have been out there I see a lot of mud motors driving by while I go sit on the bank at Jim lake. It is my understanding that you can run anything out there when the rock is covered but looks like a lot of that rock is showing and I would prefer to not go out there and flounder around then read the "idiot at mud today" posts later. Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    It is my understanding that you can run anything out there when the rock is covered but looks like a lot of that rock is showing ....
    If you can see more than two feet of the big rock sticking up you will have trouble with a jet or a prop. I've been able to run a prop at three feet, but it was a lot of work and ate up the water pump impellar really fast since it was pumping silt. I still had to push pole through a couple of spots. You will have to stay to the channels the mud motors have carved through the grass and muck even at two feet of rock. Once you try to get back into a grassy spot you will be push poling anyway.

Thanks Ak Ray,
    Guess I will just go out there and see what the deal is. Just put stops on my oars today so if I have to row for awhile then thats the deal. Tired of sitting at Jim with no birds, would like to get my dog on a few last birds for her so I will give it a go. sorry if i am in anyones way. thanks again ray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast