Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 takes down a 63" BUll

Default 7mm-08 takes down a 63" BUll

A few months ago several guys were asking about youth rifles and calibers.

My Step Brother purchased a Weatherby youth 7mm-08 and cut the stock down to fit his 9 year son. After a visit and a few measurements I took pleasure in loading up a box of practice ammo so he could get used to the rifle.

Nosler Ballistic Tip 120gr /.417BC
    Winchester brass trim 2.025
    Big Game 51.0gr
    Primer CCI 200
    COL 2.800
    .100" off the lands in his rifle

************************************************** ****************************************

For hunting we wanted a tougher bullet so we decided on the Partition.

Nosler Partition 140gr /.434BC
    Winchester brass trim 2.025
    IMR-4350 45.5gr
    Primer CCI 200
    COL 2.804

.025 off the lands in his rifle

This past weekend they went into the field and accomplished his first moose kill with his father using the 7mm-08 and 140gr Partitions. My Bro said it was a very wet three day hunt.

In classic form they woke up to frost and active calling on the third morning. Three bulls came in and the youngster put a very well placed shot behind the near shoulder that exited the far shoulder, clean pass through, no recovery. The moose folded over and died on the spot.

I would say the little 7mm-08 did a very effective job of anchoring a moose. I wish I cold have been there...

Bray 3.jpg

Good show! Great to see the young guys out tipping them over, thanks for your part in that.
    I've got a young hunter needing his first centerfire and the 7-08 is certainly on the list for strong consideration.

You mean you didn't need to cut down a .577 Tyranosaur or .416 Rigby to properly kill a big moose? Lol.

That's awesome! Great moose, and the smile on the kid's face says it all.

Thx Marshall for the post - one happy kid there!
    Once again shot placement plays a vital role - I think the bigger boomers probably give a hunter a few more options on shot angle but they are definetly not needed for ethical shot placements!

Hard to beat the tried and proven partition for sure...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Once again shot placement plays a vital role - I think the bigger boomers probably give a hunter a few more options on shot angle but they are definitely not needed for ethical shot placements!
    Smokey,

He has been shooting off hand with a single shot 22LR for a few years now. He's very stable, somewhat of a natural if I may say...

I ran the ballistics and had confidence in the 7mm-08. At 100 yards it is putting down as much force as a 7mm RM at 250 yards. Most people wouldn't think twice about a 250 yard 7mm RM shot.

My Bro speaks a pretty sexy cow, the bull came in to about 75 yards. While he was cutting this 63" bull up for the haul out two other legal bulls were fighting in the back ground. He said at one point they were getting a little to close and he had to chase them off.

One was estimated mid fifties, the other had legal tines. They're seen in the back ground before the cutting started.

Bray 1.jpg

Man, I would love to have such a problem on a moose hunt!
    Very nice pics - thanks again!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smile

Nice bull. good hunter, proud dad.

Real people hunting real moose out the back door with real rifles, need I say more

That's one proud boy!! Hats off to his Dad for taking him!!

7/08 is a wonderful round in anyone's hands. It's only a smidge behind the 280 and a little ahead of the 7x57....what better company could you keep!!

Thats awesome! Thats an interesting field, almost looks man made. Are they hunting on private property?

That is one for the young man, the 7mm08 and the 140gr Partition for sure. I like that, and the kid sure is happy and proud.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I can't wait to see that same look on my son's face. Thanks for the story!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Thats awesome! Thats an interesting field, almost looks man made. Are they hunting on private property?
    My Bro is the typical old school hard charging, hard fighting, hard working Alaskan. He has made a few good choices along the way that gave him an opportunity to purchase a Super Cub. He has a very supportive wife and a family that prefers wild game to retail beef. That Super Cub got him in to the spot.

It's his honey hole, It's not private land. If I give it up he will kill me for sure. The landing area is very small and requires floats. It took one trip to get the youngster and the gear home and three shuttles to get to meat and rack out.

I spoke to the shooter a few hours ago, he's still very excited. He said with the coat he didn't even feel the shot go off. Good memories for sure.

I wish I could have made the trip this year, an Elk hunt awaits me down here. Extra time off is hard to get.

That was the greatest story ever! Please get the young fella to write a hunting story so you can post it in the hunting forum! Gotta love the 308 winchester family of cartridges! (243 win, 260 rem, 7mm-08 rem, 308 win, 338-08 fed,358 win)

Great story.Got to respect a moose that knows he is dead and will just stay calm and stand there till he dies.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

How the heck did any one kill a moose with out my .338 Win. Mag.? That is a great picture and a good story. Congrats to all of them!

Hey Marshall, you mentioned your bro cut down the youth model - I was curious as it is advertised with a removeable section to do just that - did he have to reduce it further???

u
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Hey Marshall, you mentioned your bro cut down the youth model - I was curious as it is advertised with a removeable section to do just that - did he have to reduce it further???
    His reach was a little short with the spacers removed so Bro cut the stock down with a band saw.

He removed the original recoil pad and mixed up some epoxy. He put a good dose of epoxy inside the shell of the butt and put the pad back on. He let it dry with the muzzle up so the epoxy wold run down and secure the pad.

Once everything was dry he ground the edges of pad down to fit the butt contour. It actually turned out quite nice and looks factory with the exception of no more spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    That was the greatest story ever! Please get the young fella to write a hunting story so you can post it in the hunting forum! Gotta love the 308 winchester family of cartridges! (243 win, 260 rem, 7mm-08 rem, 308 win, 338-08 fed,358 win)
    That's a great idea Mainer. I'll call his mom and see if he will get busy. His prospective should be awesome.

I tried this load with a 140gr barnes tsx boattail. Wow shot real well in my daughters youth weatherby rifle. thanks for the data!

Great job Marshall. That picture of your nephew is priceless and I know he is walking on air. Nice job with the Nosler load and your step brother making the gun fit. Really nice to see kids into hunting and nothing better than early success.Great bull also, pretty nice to have them come into the call. Keep up the good work.... Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast