Thread: Unit 23 Moose Hunt

Default Unit 23 Moose Hunt

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I just found this forum and have been checking it out over the past few days. My name is Mike and I'm 27 yrs old and from WA state. My hunting partner and I were lucky enough to draw Unit 23 Moose this year and will be heading out on Friday a for 15 day trip. I looks like the moose season has started out somewhat slow for some hunters on the forum, I'm hoping that the cooler weather that is coming in will help get the rut going and get the bulls up on their feet during the day a little more than what it sounds like they are currently. My buddy and I are extremely excited to be in AK for the first time and experience everything it has to offer. We have moose, caribou, and wolf tags and are hope to see some of each (although we haven't heard too much about wolves for our area). We have been told by several people that the bou migration has started a little earlier than normal and that they could be down in our neck of the woods by the mid-later part of our trip. Does anyone have any reports or advice that could be helpful to a couple of Rookie AK hunters? We have a buddy that has been there 6 times on the same trip and the same lake so we have quite a bit of camping/general hunting knowledge from him, but he hasn't been there in 10 years so things can change. It seems like Unit 23 will provide a great opportunity for some nice animals based on what I've seen from his experiences, I'm just hoping it holds true for us this year. Thanks and I appreciate any wisdom that can be shared.

Mike

Hey Mike ( my name also)................I'd be excited too. Should be an interesting trip. Any chance you can give us more detail on where your hunting?
    Moose are moose where ever you are. You'll be hunting at a time calling will help greatly. Elevated areas that offer vantage points for glassing will also be useful.
    Will this be a drop or a float? If a drop, keep a QUIET camp. Call and glass. If a float, hopefully you can plan a day or 2 at a camp to call from. Have a shooter prepared to shoot when floating.
    The upper portions of most unit 23 rivers (Kobuk, Selawik, Tag, even Buckland,) all hold black bear. Might want to get a bear tag, or use a wolf tag for bear if that is legal.
    Bou migrations were different 10+ years ago. Much of unit 23 had bou moving thru by this time in those days. Not so much anymore. Just keep an eye out for them. If they are there, you will likely see them.
    I believe there are also less hunters in 23 these days. 10 years ago the place was much busier. Should be good for you.............less competition in the field.
    Good luck and post a story when your done.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

We will be hunting in the Selawik, and apparently there aren't many hills to be had in the area. Some little humps here and there, but pretty flat most the way around our camp. We are doing a drop camp and will keep as quite as possible during our time in the area. Our buddy stopped hunting the area the last year it was an over the counter tag and went to a draw unit. They seemed to have quite a bit of success with several bulls in the 60" range. Overall plan for now is to get to a hump, call (without overcalling) and then glass. We have a fair amount of time to try to find 2 legal bulls, but don't want to be picky and miss out on an opportunity. When you say that there are black bear, would you think that we have a very good chance of seeing some? We are also curious about Grizzly bears, the guy we know that was up there only ever saw 1 each year, no more, no less. We are approx. 70 miles inland and I'm curious if there will be many Griz that far in? Stupid question, but we don't know what to expect. We have a bear fence and sidearms, so we are comfortable with that. Thanks.