Thread: 2012 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX 700I vs. 2011/2012 Ranger XP800?

Default 2012 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX 700I vs. 2011/2012 Ranger XP800?

Considering one of these as the ultimate family rig. I find I can get out more often if I can take a kid or two with me and its fun passing on the love of the outdoors to the kiddos.

I like that I can fit 2 of them right off the bat in the front seats, and with a 1,000lb rear capacity it would do all I'd ever need..

Questions?
    Are these things Alaskan tough?
    Reliability?
    Extended Roll Cages and rear seats? (so I can add removable rear seating to carry 5)
    How do you adjust the front seat belts for toddlers? Throw in your car seat / booster seat?

Arctic Cat is heavier, more expensive, tows less, but has more travel. Assuming accesories are easier to find for the Ranger? Leaning toward the Ranger at this point. ???

I live in Anchorage so a good dealer might help push me one way or the other.

Any information would be appreciated.

You won't find a good dealer in Anchorage or Eagle River. Be Warned. Go to the Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterak View Post
    You won't find a good dealer in Anchorage or Eagle River. Be Warned. Go to the Valley.
    I almost totally agree..... Except..... I have had great parts and service at Alaska Cycle Center. They have the same pricing as Hatcher Pass Polaris and are closer. I would definitely look at Hatcher Pass Polaris and Alaska Cycle Center.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I bought a 2012 HDX a few weeks ago. I also looked at the Ranger 800. I was wanting something that my wife, 3 1/2 year old and I could get out on the trails and enjoy the outdoors in as well as work it on the deer lease. So far, it is stock except adding a Warn RT30 to the front of it. I have been searching all over the web for aftermarket accessories for it and since it is so new, there just isn't much available (that I can find). Since the Ranger has been so popular for many years, you can find just about anything you can think of for that machine. Other than a top and a half windshield (here in Texas, I don't need the whole cab and heater), I would like to add a 2" lift and 27" (or maybe 28") tires. If you are planning on carrying things in the bed, there is no comparison in size of the bed for the two you are comparing. The HDX bed is HUGE!

FYI you may find that RT30 a bit underpowered for a UTV.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I second that^^^^^^ RT40 minimum for a sidexside rig.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I second that^^^^^^ RT40 minimum for a sidexside rig.
    A 5k# would be the cats ass, but no one makes one worth a ****. Study up on your pull power vs spooling and use straps and snatch blocks accordingly. 3000 of power is not 3000 of power with 50ft of line out.

You're either gonna get **** good at self recovery or trade it in for 2 quads.

Also rockin a SxS and gettin pulled out by quads is not the same. A 750# quad is not always a solid anchor for a 1200# rig then add in the force from being stuck.

Dan
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

M6000 portable or 4700 DC. They're kinda heavy but would be interesting to use one on a sidexside to see if they would be worth it.

Curious with the crewcab rigs now why they haven't made a 5,000 pounder.

KODIAK at heart, but Midwest by occupation, for now

Look at the Viper Elite 5000lb made by Moto alliance out of Minnesota. www.motoalliance.com They get a pretty high user rating and are affordable. I'm very happy with the 5000lb Elite Wide spool that I put on my 2011 Ranger 6x6.

KB

Kinda hard for me to look at a winch other than Warn. Tried going with different hubs on the truck years ago. Mistake. Friend tried going with a different winch on the weasel. Mistake. And I don't much care for product reviews coming from the lower 48. Alaska is different, period. But you buy me that viper winch and I'll try it

Take it from a Viper user in Alaska then, I went through 3 Warns in a year, my Viper never hiccuped till my son wrapped it and the ATV attached to it around a telephone pole. My riding partners all ditched Warn and went with Vipers here in Alaska after going through 4 Warns in a year for them. I have a 3000 xt Warn sitting in my garage make an offer I want to upgrade to another Viper.

I hope your son is okay after that wreck. That's good to hear on the vipers. What were the situations when the warns failed? What models were they?

At least 2 of them were XT 3000's all were 3000 lbs winches on 800 Can Am's, Max's and one Rhino. The XT I have sitting in my garage is a winch that was a month old used twice and rebuilt again. The son was fine, lucky, but fine, and yes he stayed that way when I got home. All winches failed while trying to extract machines, other ATV's, nothing terrible. The Warns I've used all seem to stall very easily, where I have not been able to stall a Viper. They are not fast, but they pull and have been very reliable for us. Funny though, all the machines the Vipers were on are either sold or totaled. Hmmm. maybe I won't put another Viper on my new machine. Sorry for the hijack.