Thread: 340 Conversion

Default 340 Conversion

Since everyone was so helpful with the protective coating thread I thought I would try my luck with a project I have in my head..

I want a 340 Weatherby but the only rifles I can find it in off the shelf are the Marks which weight in at 7 or so pounds. I have a couple of 700's one of which is in the mountain rifle. I have read where the 700 action is very customizable and was wondering if a 700 with the long action could be somewhat easily converted to a 340 Weatherby Mag?

One more question, I like keep my money, what I have, in Alaska so if anyone on here does smithing for a living and would like to discuss offline so we don't break any forum rules (if there are any) just pm me..

As long as you start with a Remington 700 originally built for a round such as 7mm mag, 300 Win Mag, 338, 375, etc it will make a great donor rifle.

I've used Stan Jackson a good deal and been pretty happy with the results. Good prices, great turn around. Some guys here use out of state smiths and been pretty happy as well.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    As long as you start with a Remington 700 originally built for a round such as 7mm mag, 300 Win Mag, 338, 375, etc it will make a great donor rifle.

I've used Stan Jackson a good deal and been pretty happy with the results. Good prices, great turn around. Some guys here use out of state smiths and been pretty happy as well.
    So it may be smart to use the 300 Weatherby I have in the 700 Classic would be a good place to start..

I've barrelled a couple magnum 700's to 340 Wby. It seems to work well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

While not the most popular one for rebarreling here, we have done a bunch and the 700 makes a fine platform

I have Mk Vs in .340 Wby and .375 Wby, and it's just a personal preference, but I like them well over 7 lbs. But if you like them light, this seems like a good deal: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/....375-Weatherby

If you reload, you can make the .375 do what the .340 does with the 250gr TTSXs or 260gr ABs. Then, you can load up for bigger stuff too. Me, I'd probably rather drive nails into my forhead than regularly shoot a 6.5 lb .340 Wby often.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I have Mk Vs in .340 Wby and .375 Wby, and it's just a personal preference, but I like them well over 7 lbs. But if you like them light, this seems like a good deal: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/....375-Weatherby

If you reload, you can make the .375 do what the .340 does with the 250gr TTSXs or 260gr ABs. Then, you can load up for bigger stuff too. Me, I'd probably rather drive nails into my forhead than regularly shoot a 6.5 lb .340 Wby often.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about driving nails into your head. My next question was going to be how much does porting tame the 340 and the 375? Since you have both I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on whether or not a 6.5 pound 340 or 375 is just to much punishment..

I have another 300 Weatherby that I had ported because I could take an afternoon at the range but once Wild West ported it I can shoot it all day long.

Brakes work very well on the Weatherby calibers as they burn a bunch of powder, and that helps a brake work well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean about driving nails into your head. My next question was going to be how much does porting tame the 340 and the 375? Since you have both I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on whether or not a 6.5 pound 340 or 375 is just to much punishment..I have another 300 Weatherby that I had ported because I could take an afternoon at the range but once Wild West ported it I can shoot it all day long.
    It's just a personal preference, but I don't like brakes or ports on my hunting rifles (though I do like good brakes on my truck and good port in my belly). Both my 340 and 375 Wby rifles are fairly hefty (I cut weight elsewhere when I need to), and I sight in with a good shoulder pad. Works well for me, and when hunting I never have noticed the recoil. I hate the noise more than the pushing effect of the recoiling stock. YMMV.