Thread: Infamous Haul road (secret road) question.....

Default Infamous Haul road (secret road) question.....

I'll be heading out on the 15th with a buddy from Fairbanks this year. Did the Haul rd with a rifle 2 years ago and it **** near killed me, 5 miles both ways.... Last year did it with archery equipent and stayed close to the rd. This yr we're hiking in again with rifles and spiking out. I've hear from several people about the infamous road that goes out to almost 5 miles. My question is: Where's this or these roads, and is there any stipulations to it's use besides the no motorized vehicles regulation. I procured a set of the Dalton Highway maps and noticed that these are a couple of airstrips about 2.5-4 miles off the Dalton hwy and what apprear to be roads going out to them. If anyone has used these roads and has any recommendations I'd appreciate it. As of right now we're gonna drive out to where the Bou are and hike in that direction for 5 miles, rest, shoot, sleep, and pack X2.

Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

There's only two roads that I know of that you can drive on and those are the ones for Toolik and Galbraith Lake. There's the Solid Waste Transfer Station road, but it's gated up...but it's better than walking the tundra. There's also an old road or landing strip off one side of the road that's nice walking. However, none of these are 5 miles long.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I know what road it is and at the end of it is Jimmy Hoffa and the The answers to the JFK assasination.

With that said most roads i know of go 2-3 miles out and you still have to walk, long haul, I have walked out numerous times and didnt see anything worth packing, wish you the best of luck, tell ur buddy to get certified

The road at Galbraith will get you about 2 miles off the road....maybe.

Curious Billy Jack, how did the archery hunt go?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have a spot that gets me about 1.2 miles from the road and then you have a nice ridge line (SO much better walking then the flats) till your about 4 miles out and then at 4.5 miles its ok walking. I'll try to explain where it is but you might get confused. as you pass Galbraith lake the pipline is on your right and you travel the road kinda turns to the left and then the pipeline crosses the road and is on your right. and where it crosses the road you can walk out there. hope that helps, I would like to see where everyone walks out just to see other options

Lots of old exploration roads/trails (not easy, but easier walking) still intersect the Dalton but are not readily apparent when you drive by. Google Earth is your friend.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thanks for the replies, We'll be up there on the 15th, white wall tent and blue F150.

Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.