Thread: moose advice???

Default moose advice???

This season is my first real season for moose... and I have seen nothing...
    Before the opener moose were every where. I think i've been doing every thing right i've been getting off the 4 wheeler and pushing deep into the muskeg surrounded by hardwoods, setting up little stands trying to see if i can scrape anything in. are we in a weird part of the season i haven't even seen a cow. btw i've been hunting of the parks near bonanza tree farm thing. is it possible that every one driving back and forth on the trails are pushing moose away?? thanks

Hunt early and hunt late. Moose generally bed down during the day. Most of my moose sightings have been before 10 AM and later in the evening. It's still a little early for calling anything in as the rut hasn't quite started. Actually, most seasons end before the rut starts. My advice is to get high before daylight in an area where you can see lots of country and start glassing when the sun comes up. Had 5 moose within 100 yds of camp last weekend early in the morning.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

will colder temps play a factor in moose starting to move around and getting the rut started a little earlier?

Day light and moon phases have more to do with the rut than colder temps. Might get them moving a little more due to the need to feed up before winter, but the rut will get them moving good. Like I said though, most seasons will end before the rut. Hunt early and hunt late. Not saying you won't see one during the day, but they will bed down for a good part of the day. Find a good comfortable spot out of the wind during the day and glass everything you can see.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

thanks man

It's one of those things you will learn in time, moose can read. I have found on numerous occasions that they will hang around and not give a care in the world that you are walking right next to them the day before the season opens, but once opening day comes along, they are nowhere to be seen. I am still trying to find that guy who seems to post the hunting regs on the spruce tree bullitain board out in the woods each year....

I would second the advice given above. Get out before light and sit and wait. It's amazing what you can hear if you aren't moving around. Moose will act a lot like we do. If they hear you moving, they will either travel away or stop and listen to try to figure out what you are. That's the time you stop to listen and don't hear anything. If you can sit and spot somewhere for a while, it isn't uncommon to hear the moose moving around.

Saw a bull out that way just today!! They are there, its just a luck thing! GOOD LUCK...

Put in your time patience is key. Remember even in the best moose areas its 1-2 moose per square mile. Light raking early am late pm bring a good book and enjoy the fresh air.

Good Luck
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

thanks for the help guys