Thread: Need supplies and tips...

Question Need supplies and tips...

I am in the process of finishing up my bear skull. I am curious if anyone has any tips as to how to completely get rid of the "smell" that the skull still has. It's been cleaned by beetles, soaked in white fuel for a couple weeks, and sat in volume 40 salon developer for two days as I was told this would work like straight hydrogen peroxide. It lightened/cleaned the skull up a it, but nothing to what I was expecting. I want to find food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide to whiten it with. I was thinking a short 6-8 hour bath in it straight to lighten up everything a bit and hopefully finish killing off the "smell". Then I would go with the suggestion/steps Stid uses...mixing the hydrogen peroxide with womens hair lightener to a paste. I am hoping I can keep a LITTLE of the discoloration in the teeth, but want to whiten the rest of the skull more. Thanks for any suggestions/tips...

AZinAK

Most likely you skull is not fully degreased after a few weeks! Higher strength peroxide wont help! It will take a few more months than that if you want it done correctly. Place back in fresh fuel, acetone, thinner or other solvent of choice. Remember these are solvents and simply thin the grease into smaller particles. Detergent such as dawn dish soap heated any where from 85-115 degrees is needed after your thinner to draw out the grease. Several weeks of detergent is needed as well. Once you have it fully degreased then use peroxide to whiten. If you want natural un-whitened teeth you have two option. pull all teeth, or cover up with some form of barrier and paste. To paste you can use peroxide in higher strengths and mix with baby powder, climbers chalk, or basic white powder found at the beauty store along with the high strength peroxide. Mix to a cremy tooth paste consistency and cover every part of the skull inside and out. Then wrap tightly in plastic to prevent it from drying out and allow the peroxide to work. After a few days rinse off the paste and if the skull has been degreased properly it should be nice and white. If not you need more degreasing. The fat and grease in the bone is where the smell is stemming from. A big black bear bear might take 3-4 months to properly degrease and up to 7 or 8 on the biggest, old brown bear boars if beetled. PM me if you want more info

Chris

Thanks for the info...the bear skull is 17 3/16" if I remember right, so average if I were to guess. It squared 6'2", not that it matters. I guess back into the white fuel it goes. I noticed at the jaw socket on both the upper and lower and some areas at the back of the skull seem to possibly have grease. Definately want to do it right as I plan on displaying it with my rug...thanks again for the pointers!

AZinAK