Thread: Favorite smooth bore 12ga slug

Default Favorite smooth bore 12ga slug

For smooth bore 12ga shotguns only... what's yer favorite and why? Has anyone checked out Remington's buck hammer slugs with the stabilizer? Looking for a load for big game under 100yds/bear load. Anyone notice a significant difference between 2 3/4" vs. 3"??
    Let's hear your thoughts...

Mountaintrekker

3" Brenneke Black Magic because I like the design

Link

My Remington 1100 Skeet B is my favorite for most upland shooting. My Remington 870 Express is my favorite waterfowl gun. The Saiga 12 ga. with 25 round drum handles the light work around the house. That and 6 other shotguns includeing a 12 bore double- barrel muzzle loader let me have some diversity in the field. I've yet to buy the perfect firearm for anything,BUT I keep experimenting and hoping.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The Buckhammers work great for me and have the best numbers on paper.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SORRY bout' that. I didn't read the part about SLUGS. So just overlook my response, I don't shoot anything larger than #4 buck out of shotguns; Don't have to I own a rifle. It has both range and power.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Use a rifled barrel....the extra accuracy will be worth it. Even in 20 ga most any of the newer designed slugs perform wonderfully.

Another question for you... are you going to load your own, or sticking to factory loads?
    If you cast and load your own, the lee 435 gr is really easy to do both. And with the alloy, you control the offset of the projectile for hunting or self-defense. Something like wheelwieght lead makes fanastic economy load, and will kill bear and deer well.

For factory, you will need to get 1 box of everything that will be available to you that you think will work..... then go to the range. You might find that your shotgun likes 2 3/4 over 3", or that you cannot shoot sabots accuratilly. Best advice is to go shoot. And 100 yards is a long poke for most smooth bore loads- so pick a target that you can realistically want to hit. A pie plate, a clay pigeon, ect.

Chris

I`ll echo the Brenneke...I`ve put 2-1/2" 3-shot groups on paper at 100 yards with a smooth bore....plenty accurate. The Brenneke shoots pretty flat at around 85-90 yards.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

+1 on brenneke black magic 3"

I have two pretty accurate smooth bore slug guns. One is a Ithaca 37 12 ga that my son has laid claims to and the one I used was a 20 ga Savage model 67. They both shoot around 3 inches at 75 yards with Winchester SuperX slugs. I say used to use on the Savage as I have been doing my Iowa slug season with a 41 mag (yup it's legal) for a while now.

Brenneke. Several other threads out there on this subject. Have not tried the Remington's you reference; not inclined to seek a fix for what aint broken.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

1 1/8 oz. Brenneke Classic Magnum. They punch through like a big hardcast bullet causing massive leaks on both sides. I'm perfectly comfortable crawling around in the alders with them.
    Now what ?

BRENNEKE no doubt but 2 3/4" not 3's because they will ALWAYS clear an empty
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    That's definitely something to consider when the situation matters. I've never had a 3 inch Brenneke fail to eject cleanly from my gun, but have with at least one other brand.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's definitely something to consider when the situation matters. I've never had a 3 inch Brenneke fail to eject cleanly from my gun, but have with at least one other brand.
    Interesting thought, I never considered that either!

I also carry the brenneke's for bear defence.

+8 on the brenneke... Other than that little flap they had with a factory recall (check your lot numbers with the brenneke usa website), I do believe they have the superior product.

While not absolutely certain in this particular case, I do have it on good authority that the Troopers use Brennekes in their 12 Ga's... it looks like one was able to take down a 9 1/2' bear with one shot...
    http://homertribune.com/2011/09/brow...ldotna-street/

I used the Brenke for years in the old 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz loading. Its harder lead makes a sharp cut/hole but is not brittle I have them squash abit on heavy bone and stayed to gether.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Good call. I've had to perform surgery on an 870 using a knife that had a 3" shell hang up. Fortunately it was on the range when it happened where no one's bacon needed pulling from the fire. For that very reason I strongly recommend against using 3" shells in pumps and semi-autos that are used for defensive purposes, and managed to get it written into our department policy.
    Now what ?