Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tires for Alaska

Default What tires for Alaska

Thinking about getting some 26x12 ITP XTR Mud Lite Radial tires. We currently have a Sportsman 500 and a 2011 Big Boss 6x6. I don't spend much time on hard trails or rocks. It is always the deep mud that stops us. So what do you guys think of them or would you look at some thing else? Also, where is the best deals on ATV tires?

Mud Lites are a good traction to weight ratio tire. I'm a fan of Zillas not do I listen to any dealer recommendation on width. 27x11 all 4 corners. Flotation is excellent.

You'll see every make and model in the woods. Though the tops are Swamp Lites, Zillas, Mud Bugs or Mud Lites.

I've had Swamplites and mudlites, and now run a set of Pit Bull Rocker XOR's. They beat both of the others in every terrain condition. They aren't cheap though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I had mud lights on the ranger and hated them, I now have swamp lites and love them. They are a little soft so were faster than I am used to. I hear great things about the Zilla's. Don't be confused with the Mud Zilla's. Great tire but have a tendancy to eat machines lunch. I have been purchasing mine through Chapparel motor sports and even with shipping they are cheaper than buying local.

The XTR's are a very good tire. I have a friend that runs them on his machine and they do really good. I run Kenda Executioners http://www.motosport.com/utility/pro...212/?id=103664 and they are the best tires that I have ever owned. They clean out fast and hook up really well - Very impressive in Mud - and they have very sturdy side walls with and a lot of rim protection. The one down side is they run small 27's are the size of most 26's. I have them on 3 of my machines and have used them on about every kind of terrain there is in Alaska and I have no complaints. We put about 500 mile on our machines this summer and there is very little sign of wear on the tires.

I have ordered all mine through http://www.motosport.com/utility/cat...re-and-Wheels/ they charge $64 to ship most sets of 4 tires to Alaska.

I like the Swamplites on my rzr, they seem to handle pretty good for a mud-tire.

I have used mudlites on my grizzly 660 for many years and have had no problems what so ever. they do very well in mud, water, and climbing and just put them on my new rhino so we'll see how they work with it..

I've put my Zillas through the wringer for the last two years and I would recommemd them. From rocky trails to deep mud they have done a great job for me.

I'll offer a vote for Mudbugs-much better for slogging than Mudlites and they ride comparatively soft for such an aggressive tread.

As for dealers, try Tires Unlimited out of Dayton Ohio. They will ship parcel post (which saves big $) and you can calculate the exact freight charges when placing an order. They handle all the brands mentioned herein.

Any of you guys running the Titan 589s? Heard any reviews on them?

Heard nothing but bad about them... I was told the lugz are to stiff and on clay and hard trails they tend to slide around.

I have the executioners and for wet sloppy mud and swamp they are good but they are too hard and won't grip hard rock or frozen ground so hills sometimes are sketchy and the smallest bog with a solid piece of trail on the other end and you have to push out. But my buddy always makes it with his swamp lites.

I've been running 26" Maxxis Mudbugs the last 4 years on my Rancher, no issues. Wear like iron, grip great in every terrain and awesome thru mud and nasty bogs. Not very pricey(motosport.com has good deals) and aren't too heavy.

+1 for Motosport. They have a great selection and shipping is cheap. I am a fan of Kenda tires and had some Bear Claws on the fronts of my Sportsman 6x6. They were grippy and semi-soft but wore really well. I recently upgraded my machine to a Ranger 6x6 with Mud-Lites and they run nice on the rocky parts of the trail, but leave a little to be desired in the mucky stuff. I haven't figured out if it is the heavy machine, my lack of skill, or the tires that are causing stuckage. Probably a little of everything.

I am searching for tires right this minute, Wanting 27 12X12 and 27 9X12 iTP Mud Lite XL for my Grix 700. The best prices I can find are from Chaparral Motor Sports. They say they will ship to AK for $25 per tire. Total for the tires mailed here looks like approx $545. $100 cheaper than the best in state price I have found yet. Can anyone beat this??

I've been using the mud sharks the last few years, I really like em and haven't had a bit of problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    I am searching for tires right this minute, Wanting 27 12X12 and 27 9X12 iTP Mud Lite XL for my Grix 700. The best prices I can find are from Chaparral Motor Sports. They say they will ship to AK for $25 per tire. Total for the tires mailed here looks like approx $545. $100 cheaper than the best in state price I have found yet. Can anyone beat this??
    Yep! Motosport has em for $503.96 shipping included :P lol

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Already placed the order, $445 for the tires & $30 each for shipping. I'll look for Motosport next time I order something, shouldn't be tool long. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Yep! Motosport has em for $503.96 shipping included :P lol

-akiceman25

Mudlite XL's or Swamplites? which one would you go with? Heard some people have had issues with Swamplite side walls.

No complaints about my mudlite xtr's on my Foreman. Had them a year now, muddy trails, gravel and snow plowing with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast