Thread: Lost key....

Default Lost key....

Any experiance removing a Hoppes #9 trigger lock with a missing key?
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

They aren't a real top notch security tumbler system. BUT, doing it without damaging the firearm is the trick; A trip to the locksmith may be in order.
    If the lock has a number on it you might be able to purchase one keyed the same, if you can't find one with the same number the locksmith may be able to contact the manufacturer for the key code. If not a locksmith may be able to cut a key by impression or he may have to use a lock destruction method.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I had a locksmith remove one. Dunno what he did, but it was off in seconds. He was a fellow shooter, and seemed well acquainted with the lock, so it's nothing exotic. Cost me a cup of coffee, and it took lots longer to drink the coffee than remove the lock. Come to think of it, we drank his coffee rather than buying so I actually got a free cup of coffee to go with his free work.

Chuck the keyed side in your drill press vise and drill into the tumbler, from the opposite end with a 3/8" drill bit. It'll pop loose quickly. I've done a dozen or more that way.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Two large straight blade screwdrivers, or "prybars" as we call them, insert above the rubber seal and lightly pop apart. Takes about 5 seconds. Those locks do keep young children and honest people from using your firearm though.

Chris

BrownBear, Are you the shooter came into the shop here in Fairbanks this spring with the trigger lock?

Chris

Thank you, $6.00 at the lock smith took care of it. Much easier then my feable fingers damaging somthing.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    BrownBear, Are you the shooter came into the shop here in Fairbanks this spring with the trigger lock?

Chris
    Not me. It was in an Arizona shop a couple of years ago. Hunting with a couple of guys, one of whom used the lock. He clipped it on my gun to show how it worked, then discovered he had lost the key. Woops!