Thread: predator calling help

Default predator calling help

ok guys i am just getting into predator calling and over the weekend i have made about a dozen stands and the only thing i have been able to call in is birds mostly camp robber's but also raven and a hawk. now i am using an old fp38 and the only sound on the unit that brings in birds is the wood pecker distress, no other sound on there has had any activity, i have hunted dawn,dusk,afternoon,night with the same results every time except no birds at night, last night while driving to a stand i had a fox cross the rd. about 1/4mi. from were i was going calling i thought that was a good sign but nothing came in, i have sat for an hour at a stand and i have sat for 15min at a stand i usually start with low volume and work my way up and change sound every 5-7min, can you guys give me any tips or info would it be better when we get some white stuff or do i need a new call with more state specific sounds. any tips or info would be great thanks guys scott

Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, why are you calling at this time of year? Furs can't be prime yet, even in the interior. JMO, but not much point in killing them if they are not worth anything.

well im doing it now because im trying to decide weather or not to spend $700 on a new caller i may be working through the winter and may not have time to trap not for me anyways i like to check traps every day or at least every other day im not bashing on guys that check once a week i just dont like animals to be sitting out there in a trap for a week, i just bought a $1000 rifle just for this and im wanting to see what it does to hides plus i have an open spot on my wall for a yote or fox.

Here's something to try first... put your caller out like you are now- then go about 150 yards away and walk slowly till you hear it. Stop right there, listen; does it sound natural? does it sound like a lot of other calls? could you determine the direction from where you were at? echos? hollow lost sounds? If you can't do this, have a buddy help you out.
    Starting to call is like going to school, the animals give you a grade. But, a progress report sure helps if you ain't getting better. When I started on Coyotes in Kansas, I did not get any the first winter. Second winter I got schooled by an old farmer. I did will with his advice. Got to Texas, and found out his advice didn't work all the time-- seems like everybody there used the same music. Therefore, the critters were very vary! Got new lesson in changing to meet the conditions.
    If you want to call now, make sure your legal, and since other seasons are going on- your position is marked for humans to know you ain't a target to shoot at. And the more you call, the more you will train critters not to come to your same calls.

Chris

There are a few of us on here that are predator nuts myself and snowcamo man being one of the others who I have met up with from the boards ( great guy BTW) 2 points to point out ...

1. Predators have tons of food right now hare population seems to be up I have seen tons of voles lots of grouse etc. You need to wait until winter hits like 0 degrees and colder when the food it slim pickins and they have to be out and about right now there is no motivation for them to come to a call unless they are just curious.

2. And I assume you are going during the day since you CANNOT spotlight under hunting license you can only do that with a trapping license and that is your other problem most of the predators are out at night... so if you are calling during the day you will rarely get anything ever.

and he is legal wolves, yotes, fox and gulo are open under hunting license right now but I wouldn't shoot any of them ( except wolf) until at least November its a waste they still have their summer coats on and you are just educating them on the calls like he said above me..

oh and the trap thing ... they freeze up pretty quick when its -40 out so they will rarely be alive very long unless you are using only footholds. but with as much snow as we get snares are the way to go unless you want to dig up your traps every other day so they arent a foot under the snow.. or are going for marten up in trees but you will be using body grips then and they will be dead in minutes.

well i just got back in from calling and actually got some responce from coyote i belive but i think they were on the other side of a river im not sure but there was some yipping and howling going on along the far tree line plus camp robbers mobbing me, also had a bull in the area i never saw him but he was grunting up a storm so i may go see if i can stick him with the mathews tomorrow. as far as the trapping thing goes i understand that if its -40 they will freeze up and as long as you get the neck with a snare they will usually be dead i got a coyote last season that would argue the fact but for me ethics wise i like to check every 2 days at the most.

and thanks for the info bsj

If you want to try out that new gun why not head shoot some rabbits until the predators get in better shape? Thats what I did when I got my .375h&h. My hunting partner found it extremely funny but it actually worked great, head shot resulted in a totally edible rabbit. Another idea any how!

I agree, wait for a winter calling. The advantage of winter calling, besides hide quality, is the leaves on the trees are down and the water is hard. Those two aspects provide a huge advantage. One, without leaves on the trees and the grass flat your visibility will greatly increase. This lowers the chance an animal will put the sneak on you. Two, with hard water you can call what I like to call runways. That would be small creeks with good prey populations in the surrounding area. Coyotes and wolves love to run the hard creeks IME.

Finally, if you are worried about the quality of your caller go buy a cheap rabbit in distress mouth call. You can buy them in the $20 price range and they are good to have on hand just in case your batteries sheet the bed.

Good luck out there.

L32: nice rabbit with the h&h a few years ago after an un succesful moose hunt i tried mine on a ptarmigan pretty much just drum sticks left.

WG: yea i figure it will be alot better in the winter i am just excited about getting into predator calling and after getting no response's after about a dozen stands i was getting frustrated but after getting a little action this evening im feeling alot better about it, and i was actually using a quaker boy hand call for my rabbit distress today and that got the barking going and the birds coming in plus the wood pecker and male challenge on the fox pro got me more birds,barking, and a few howls im not sure why but the rabbit distress of my fp38 just dosent seem to have any appeal now if i switch from that to wood pecker in distress ravens and camp robbers come right in,i imagine the new fox pros have alot better sound and more of them i can see the remote operation helping out also taking the attention off of you. what kind of calls do you all prefer.

Calling is a labor of love with huge effort through planing, dedication, and freezing your butt off with very little reward. It took me a a few years to get used to the lack of success. Fortunately, through painstaking perseverance and trapping, I learned the sole goal is not about success and realistically it's all about being out in the woods, having fun, perfecting you strategy, and patterning the animals. For me patterning animals has led me to most of my success. Even without an animal down, if I enter the woods with the priority of having fun I cannot loose. I've had some bad days in the field and still found fun within the experience.

That is the best advice I can offer someone new to calling.

Oh yeah another thing I hope you have something bigger than a predator gun with you. You can and will call in grizzlys this time of year and you best be better equipped than a .223 or something of the liked... Bears are sleeping in the winter.

AK,
    If the hawks are coming in, you are making the right sound. I like to set the caller cross-wind of me about 50 yards, and point the speaker down-wind. I turn the volume up pretty high right from the start. I'm not familiar with the model 38. Can you program new sounds into it if I send them to you via E Mail?

rich thanks for the offer but unfortunately you have to send the fp38 to the factory for programing of sounds, that is another reason i am looking into a new fox pro, i am looking at the fury pretty hard of corse that with the fox bang upgrade and shipping is $720 so im kinda on the fence about it and the lack of success guys are having up here are making me wonder weather or not to spend the money on it.

AK,
    The Fury is a good caller, but I like the CS-24 better because of the 10 watt TOA speaker. Whether it is worth the bucks or not depends on how thick your wallet is and how badly you have been bit by the calling bug.

is there anything the fury can do that the cs-24 cant other than foxfade if not i could save $85 buy going with the 24.

AK,
    Although it is my understanding that you can get both FoxFade and Foxbang with either caller, I can tell you that the CS-24 can do anything that the Fury can do. The CS-24 comes standard with one speaker, while the Fury has two. For those who feel that stereo sound is better, you could order a second speaker for the CS-24. I don't see any advantage to stereo sound, and two speakers drains batteries faster than does only ONE. I do recommend that if you go with the CS-24, ask them to install a charging jack. I believe that the CS-24 comes with a battery cartridge that holds ten AA batteries. I use an after market smart charger, and I unhook the batteries while charging. I use the slow discharge Nickle/Metal Hydride batteries. If you want to learn the very best way to set your CS-24 up for extreme Alaska winters, contact snowcammoMan.

thanks rich good to know now the only advantage i can see the fury having is if something happened to your remote you dont have to have it with the fury.

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    thanks rich good to know now the only advantage i can see the fury having is if something happened to your remote you dont have to have it with the fury.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    That is a valid point sir.

Just got the Foxpro Wildfire (thru Foxpro) for $299 + shipping ($35) has 35 sounds plus foxbang with the TX9 remote and you can download and add sounds at home (holds up to 200 on a mini SD card)can't wait for the fur to prime up. Also have the 416B. And I also gotta agree with WG. Be advised addiction is an ugly thing