Thread: Turbo prop engines

Default Turbo prop engines

Does anyone know where someone could find a run out 400-500 hp (or higher) turbo prop engine that would bolt up to a pitts or giles air frame, or are they super huge and to heavy for that sort of air frame?

Was wondering how much it would cost to buy a run out turbo prop and overhaul it. Also would be curious if someone could buy a run out helicopter turbine engine and how much thoes would cost.

What would it cost in parts to overhaul something like that?

typically a turbine engine is lighter than a recip engine of the same horsepower. That is why you see the turbine otters, beavers, and cessnas with a long nose to keep the center of gravity forward.
    Turbines are not cheap. I believe a turbine for an otter will set the operator back $500,000 or so. A run out 400-500 hp will probably cost around $200,000 but I have not looked into them personally. Im guessing an overhaul will run you 200,000 on that engine and a hot section will cost you $50,000.
    Im sure someone else will post more specific numbers but in the mean time check out the soloy conversion for the c206, that is about the same size you are looking for and should give you a rough idea on price.
    good luck

You better set aside a better part of $1 million for that bad boy to fly. Wayne Hadley had something like that several years ago until he crashed it on a loop to landing. It was impressive.

wow, I know that a cherry beaver or otters are like 500,000 so I figured if I did the rebuild and built the hull from scratch I could save SIGNIFICANT money. Run out turbine 200k ... seriously. If that is in fact the case then this will not be feasable. I wonder if a turbine could be built up from scratch, I guess its just the metal costs that kill you, but a recip has even more metal on it so it may be significantly cheaper to build up a turbine from scratch only ordering certian components. I would have to figure out what tools you would need to work with metal like that though. They did it in germany 70 years ago in a barn, I think prices of some of this stuff is becomming ultra inflated.

The Czech Walter engines tend to be a little lower priced and have been used in a number of experimentals:
    WALTER M601-B $14,000 FOR SALE M601-B 690HP TT1340-SMOH591 avail. V508D Prop TT1202 Located in Cal City/CA. Contact Stuart H. Featherstone - BEAR AIRCRAFT LLC located Dickinson, ND USA Telephone: 7757454756 . Fax: 7755399900 Posted September 7, 2011 Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser Recommend This Ad to a Friend Email Advertiser Save to Watchlist Report This Ad Finance New Lower Rates!

I think the rpm's, temperatures and pressures on turbine blades put the metallurgy beyond the capabilities of most "tinkerers". The Germans did build jet engines that worked in WWII, but I've heard they had to be replaced every 25 hours or so, probably not TBO times most private operators would want to deal with!
    Louis Knapp

wow, I know that a cherry beaver or otters are like 500,000
    Non-turbine ones are that price. Converted you are looking at $750K to above a million. Louis has it right.

Experimental turbine engines are available in the $15 to $20K ranges. Just do a Google search. That is just the start. Instruments to monitor the engine, the fuel system, the structural work, paying a consultant, are going to run that bill over $100K in a hurry.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

sounds like you need to do a BUNCH of research on what a turbine engine is, not to mention how to work on one.

these questions sound like my 9 year old grandson.

If you build a turbine from scratch, I will pay alot of money to video the first light-off.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    If you build a turbine from scratch, I will pay alot of money to video the first light-off.
    +1 me too

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    +1 me too
    And I'll be happy to carry your tripod for the fiming. It would surely be worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep I would love to be there too, Just sit back and wait for the TOT to hit 928C!

Now is when I want to make a comment about TOT vs TIT. Then follow up about how the most TIT you can produce is a good thing.
    BUT, that shows how childish and simple I am so will bite my tongue.

This whole thread is pretty childish and simple.... Maybe "naive" is a better word.