Thread: Here is something i have learned after living in a dry cabin for 8 months

Default Here is something i have learned after living in a dry cabin for 8 months

Here is something's i have learned about living in a small one room dry cabin and i think you find some of this funny in away that only a person who live in alaska will find them funny

1-you can never have enough firewood cut up and ready to go & seasoned to burn in the wood stove for heat..I now have four cords of wood cut up and seasoned and ready to go for the winter time

2-allways have extra filled propane cylinder's on hand for when the one cylinder going to run out in the middle of a storm .I was useing the propane to cook with on a double burner stove & run the propane powered fridge .I now keep four extra 20.pd tanks along with the two 100.pd tanks i use on a regular basis

3- know where the extra flashlght batties & blubs are a must and know where you put them at .Plus mount the flashlight next to the bed so it can be found in the middle of the night

4-allways make sure you fill the empty water bottles when you have the chance .i now four 5 gallon bottles of water & three two.five gallon water bottles for fresh water in the cabin

5-you can never have enough can goods that you eat in a rough patch of weather .Plus anything that quick and easly to fix

6-know where you keep the extra wicks for the lamp & know how to change a wick in a lamp

7-know where the lamp oil is for the lamps and make sure you stash a few extras bottles of it .

8- know where the match's are in the cabin for lamp & keep them in a plastic box for keeping dry and ready to use

9-have kindling ready to use with the wood stove

10-keep the toliet lid next to the stove for the night time vist to the outhouse dureing the winter time

11-join a gym to take a shower on a daily basis and belive me when i walked around some people and i could have knocked someone out with there smell that was comeing off of them

12-take a pistol & flashlght with you to the bathroom run's and yes i have had a couple of encounter's of the stange animal's encounter's in the middle of the night

13=in the winter time it perfect normal to hang you laundry on the cloth's line to let them dry even when it 20 below

14-allway buy food before leaving town when a storm is comeing into and buy some junk food also because it heck tryng to drive into town to get your junk food fix in the middle of a blow

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    Here is something's i have learned about living in a small one room dry cabin and i think you find some of this funny in away that only a person who live in alaska will find them funny
    I would add--15. always be sure you've stocked plenty of coffee and toilet paper because you don't want to run out of either. :-)

It's been my displeasure to learn that today's "strike anywhere" matches, don't always strike anywhere at -10 or worse.. and those long snouted grill liters don't want to light at that temp either... So our solution has been to always carry a bic lighter in your pocket.. because warmed up, it will light, then you can use it to light the propane lights, and then a match, to stick in the pilot light hole on the propane furnace. and get the furnace going.....!!! (and we call this recreation...????)

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    I would add--15. always be sure you've stocked plenty of coffee and toilet paper because you don't want to run out of either. :-)
    To Northbirds #15 I would have to add - - - - AMEN
    For the younger set we always stock plenty of instant cocoa, and for some unexplainable reason, I always stock a box or two of Tea in case we run out of coffee... and although no one in this generation drinks tea anymore, every year I buy another box of tea for the cabin... We are currently overstocked on tea.....!!!

#16.... Rum, just my two cents worth!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    #16.... Rum, just my two cents worth!
    ...with some hot buttered mix

I know that should be #16 cuz I am out of Rum as we speak! Flying to town in a day or two so no emergancy yet! I will have to pick up this hot buttered mix you speak of northbird1...... And where woulod I purchase it?

`17-Also i forgot to add some games & books to help kill the time inside the cabin during the time your are stuck inside .plus i like to add some comfort food that i like .

I did add some bottle of Cognac & Marker Mark & few other bottle of high end booze for a shot a day plus diff type of hot & cold brew tea plus the thing's that you said to add to the list

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I know that should be #16 cuz I am out of Rum as we speak! Flying to town in a day or two so no emergancy yet! I will have to pick up this hot buttered mix you speak of northbird1...... And where woulod I purchase it?
    Hot Buttered Rum Mix:
    1/2 gal. vanilla ice cream
    1 lb. butter
    1 lb. powdered sugar
    1 lb. brown sugar
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Except for the ice cream, cook all ingredients on stove to a simmer. Don't boil. Then mix into softened ice cream. In a coffee mug put about 1 tablespoon of the mix, as much rum as you want, and fill to the top with boiling water. The mix should be kept frozen, so can be kept outside in the winter if you have a good place to store food. And if you want to make a virgin hot buttered rum, just leave out the rum....the mix in hot water is really good, too.

-18-have a phone that you can get out on .On the drive into town once i get into the city limit's my cell phone will automaticaly pick up the signal and give me my missed call's .Most of the time i have to go to town to use the free Wifi to get out on the internet ..I picked up a ipad2 and it accessories to use and had a friend set up on there computer to use it and now i can surf the web here in Az from the hotel free Wifi set up .Most of the time i go to a place that has free wifi like the library and get online that way to order thing's that i need and to surf a few website's i'm on .

Most the time i use the computer at work when i'm on my break to check the tracking number's of the package's i have order from diff companys or use to check my email's as it need

N19 instead of toliet paper try bathroom wipes to use after going to the bathroom i found that they seam to work better in cold weather and make cleaning up after one self alot easlyer

Thanks Northbird! Guess I'll have to get some rock salt for the trip home so the ice cream dosn't melt!

excellent thread! A DRY cabin rocks. I particularly liked #10- made me laugh.

Here is something that i find funny at time's with people and tv watching .I use my Apple Ipad & 10.2.inch protable DVD player as my main source of personal entertainment in the cabin to watching movie's on the dvd player and playing game's on the ipad to help pass the time in the afternoon i been at the cabin becuase of bad weather .Most of the time i'm in town doing thing's and spend my night's there at the cabin to sleep and eat or just veg out and recharge the body battery's after a hard week of work .

I really do not follow tv much and normaly get the tv dvd series i like and follow them that way and i find it funny that people seam to think that is odd and i find it odd that you sit in front of a tv and watch it all the time

My place is powered by some solar & propane & wood & old fashions oil lamps for daily use there in the cabin with the solar panels and four deep cell solar 140.amp hour battie's to power the led light's & electronic device's i have .The led light's i have is the main source of lighting there and the oil lamps are for back up if the sun has not been out for a few days the place fridge & freezer combo runs off of propane and other item is firewood for the small wood burning stove for heating the place as it need dureing the winter month's

But a couple of people who come to vist me at the cabin found it stange that i spend my time in the evening reading or playing game's on the ipad or listening to music than sitting infront of a tv set or i'm out walking around in the wood's see the sight's around the cabin after work day . I do sit in front of the stove when it a little cold outside and read and listen to music and drink my hot tea or hot chocolate drink and think it not a bad life after all

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    excellent thread! A DRY cabin rocks. I particularly liked #10- made me laugh.
    I learned that one the hard way and i now will pass that knowage on .the owner of the cabin is putting in a small waterless bathroomsection to the cabin this week for me to have when i come back home.The unit is a small composting toliet bult in the rear of the cabin as they cut out a door for me to walk through the cabin wall .

The owner wife was not a happy camper when she was living in the cabin and she finaily got him to put it in so she would not have to walk out of the cabin in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom .She said it going to be nice there when i get home for they have finished the work and it was good and tight for those cold winter time she told me on the phone .

Just a couple of thoughts on your list henry, from my experience, for what its worth...

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    1-you can never have enough firewood cut up and ready to go & seasoned to burn in the wood stove for heat..I now have four cords of wood cut up and seasoned and ready to go for the winter time

4 Cords is not enough (for me anyway). I like to have 6-7 just to be sure, its not like its going to go to waste

2-allways have extra filled propane cylinder's on hand for when the one cylinder going to run out in the middle of a storm .I was useing the propane to cook with on a double burner stove & run the propane powered fridge .I now keep four extra 20.pd tanks along with the two 100.pd tanks i use on a regular basis

Propane sucks when it's -40. Its a necessary evil. Make sure you have a full tank hooked up prior to -40 weather, the more propane, the better it will perform.

3- know where the extra flashlght batties & blubs are a must and know where you put them at .Plus mount the flashlight next to the bed so it can be found in the middle of the night

Invest in a couple of good headlamps, Princeton Apex or similar. Keep them hanging in the exact same place all the time so you know where to find them in the dark. Use rechargable AA's and rotate batts frequently.
    Flashlights steal one of your hands from you when you need it most.

6-know where you keep the extra wicks for the lamp & know how to change a wick in a lamp

Propane lights are the cats ass. They sip propane, are much cleaner and brighter than kerosene.

8- know where the match's are in the cabin for lamp & keep them in a plastic box for keeping dry and ready to use

for the most part, Im a bic lighter man. Much more fire per ounce...

9-have kindling ready to use with the wood stove

We collect all of our birch bark while wood cutting and keep it in a bin in the woodshed. Better yet, get a really tight stove and only light a few new fires per winter..

10-keep the toliet lid next to the stove for the night time vist to the outhouse dureing the winter time

A ring of 1 1/2" bluboard can be left in the outhouse and will warm up super fast when sat on.

11-join a gym to take a shower on a daily basis and belive me when i walked around some people and i could have knocked someone out with there smell that was comeing off of them

If you dont have access to town for a spell, you can build a simple "steam" or "mukai" (sp) with visqueen or plywood. Better yet, build a sauna.

13=in the winter time it perfect normal to hang you laundry on the cloth's line to let them dry even when it 20 below

But if the wood stove smoke hits it (ie inversion), your clothes will smell like ass crack

Default A little infomation about the place where i live off the road system .

The wood stove unit is a small compact stove is about 16.inchs long-x-10.inchs wide-x-14.inchs tall and it sit on a platform the guy bult there in the area of the front room .The platform storage bin holds about two days of wood to burn in the stove and a small arm full keep's it full to use .I use about a half a cord of wood during the winter months for heating .One fire a day will keep it warm inside for about 12 hour's and i can live with that because i'm only really there for about 10 hours a day when i'm in town and working .The rest of the time i'm in town doing something or out in another part of the Alaska or US during my work for the state .

The small two burner propane powered tove top cook's all my meals that i make and the fridge keeps the items i need to be kept cold in the cabin .The biggest problem is have is when i go to work i have to use a mircowave heat thing's up and i'm so used to useing a propane stove to cook the meals i make .It get's funny because the first time i did used the mircowave i lit a match and was trying to figure out where the pilot hole was to light the propane and i had been in a remote area for about two weeks before that living and working and i was not used to having modern things around me .

I heat water up in a 2.qt sized pot to wash the dishs with in a small 6.qt sized metal bowel that works great as a dish washing pan or a small 1.qt sized teakettle for hot water for coffee or tea or hot chocolate dureing the winter months
    The small 20.pd tank i use for the out on the deck grill. I picked up off of craiglist a small gas grill to cook the meat's items i buy on it and i use it about once a day when i'm home to cook my evening meal on it

The bigger propane tanks seam to last alot longer than i can remember to have the guy come out and fill them and they only seam to fail when the storm has hit and i forgot to have them filled that way the extra 20.pd sized tanks to have as back up on the line

To start the fire's i been useing a Blazer pencil pt 400 touch to start the fire's along with a small gel fire starter package on the wood when it not been seasoned enough .The pencil touch runs on a butane fill up and that last me about month of heavy use in the winter time

The place has a small solar system set up installed by the owner to keep the battery's charged and ready to use .Since i use the bank for light's and watching dvd on it and i do keep a small gas powered honda gen set to charge the battery's when the solar has not done it job charging the battery

The gen set get's used more during the winter month's and the gen set run's about 5 to 7 hour's to charge cabin battery's & charge the extra dvd player aftermarket battie unit that extend's the player battie life when you are watch movies on it

I charge the ipad and cell phone battie's on the way to work useing 12.volt plug in the vehicle &

I keep two 2.5.gallon gas cans filled with gas and four qts of oil that the gen set use to to keep it working .most of the time the gen set runs once a week because of only really useing the led light's to read a book or play a game on the ipad or listen to music and the ipad screen is bright enough to let me see my way around the cabin in it clock program application .It light's up the place enough to see where thing's are at when i need to find them It during the weekend does the protable dvd player get used the most to watch movie's or tv series i like and then the gen set is used once a day to keep the bank recharge

Like i said the cooking & drinking water come's from a 5.gallon & 2.5.gallon sized water bottle's that i fill up in town when it need .

Thanks for the idea about the head lamp and i went to REI today and picked one up along with a few extras items as i needed for the cabin .

For future reference, you can buy a headlamp off of the internet (basegear dot com or any of a hundred others) for about 60-70% of what it costs at REI. I use REI as a fitting and testing service, then order elsewhere.

I do however buy some gear from the "attic", lol....