Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP I Need a small dog & not a dust'mop

Default HELP I Need a small dog & not a dust'mop

Help I need advise on getting a dog. (I got rid of the last of the trained attack guard geese)

My cabin is 11' by 23' one room (Need small dog, Runt is perfect)

I hike up to 15 miles a day and don't want to carry the dog. (However most hikes are 2mi. to 6mi. but still need a hardy dog, OK a Small Hardy dog).

I don't hunt much anymore, but a retriever would be fun but not compulsory.

Open to suggestions.........

Since you are out in the winter I would recommend one of the herding dogs. They handle the snow well and will out hike you without an issue. Lots of hair to deal with in the spring.

http://japanesedogs.bulldoginformati...shiba-inu.html

I saw a show on these the other day, I thought they sounded fun.

Jack Russels are great little dogs. Ours hikes everywhere we go and loves to hunt rodents, birds, fish, etc. They love to swim, run, and just be part of the gang.

if you want a retriever, you can get small labs, 40 lb range. Mine was in that size til i fattened her up. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Since you are out in the winter I would recommend one of the herding dogs. They handle the snow well and will out hike you without an issue. Lots of hair to deal with in the spring.
    Good advice.

Hands down best dog for your lifestyle will be a Blue Heeler. Small, tough as nails, weather resistant, relatively inexpensive and highly trainable. They are a go anywhere breed, and if I didn't have my heart set on a pointer/retreiver for my next dog I would be all about a Blue Heeler.
    Good luck with whatever you choose and I hope you keep us posted!

I second the Heeler (blue, red, whatever!). I have a weim, a setter, and a heeler/Australian Sheppard mix. Jack is our mix. Jack is super smart, very loyal, very trainable, tons of stamina, very hardy, and is just an all round great dog. My wife grew up with heelers in the Healy area (family had a ranch). I hunt moose with her dad, who has a miniature heeler that tags along with us every where (he has had many heelers over the years, and they always went hunting with him). Our Jack is around 50 pounds, and the mini (Mary) must only be 20-25 lbs. I cannot say enough good things about this breed. Our life will always contain pointing breeds, and heelers! Heelers generally are not very expensive. I think my wife paid $150 for our mixed herder. You may get up there a little more for a pure breed, but it still wonít be as expensive as our big time bird dogs! For what it sounds like youíre looking for, I just donít think you could go wrong with one. Good luck!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Thanks for the replies.

I got little french bulldog. He goes ever were with me. His name is mclovin.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Mclovin...that's funny.

I like any/all of the above. I saw Catahoula/Jack Russel mixes on American Gun Dog last week. The heelers are really cool. I would never want a border collie, but my family has them back on the ranch in Nebraska. They are tough, smart, loyal, and ACTIVE just like their herding counterparts. In fact, I could probably bring a pup back up with me this winter if you were serious enough about it. I'll have to ask about when they are expecting the next litter.
    Go Big Red!

I'd go to the pound and get the small, tough, friendly one.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I'd go to the pound and get the small, tough, friendly one.
    Woman or Dog...........???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Woman or Dog...........???
    Both, but you may want a woman with a little meat on her bones because winter is coming.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Both, but you may want a woman with a little meat on her bones because winter is coming.
    That's a good point and good advice by which to live. With regard to the original post, were we ever talking about dogs or was this always a search for a help meet?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

An English springer spainel might be a good choice. Mines a big male about 45 lbs. Doesn't shed, but you have to shave them a couple times a year. They will hang with you on your hikes and are great companions. I've not trained mine at all and he points at every bird in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

In addition to all of the above characteristics, how do I find a dog that feels energetic whenever I'm out and about, but is content to simply lay around whenever I'm bein' lazy, actin' tired, or feelin' blue?

(My last dog was a huge wolf-husky mix, but I was younger then and could handle the pace. Now, not so much.)

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post

With regard to the original post, were we ever talking about dogs or was this always a search for a help meet?
    Well, I was talking about "Dogs", but we could talk about my ex-wife, OK yes we would still be talking dogs..........Hehehehehe
    There are two legged and four legged dogs, now I'll settle for a four legged dog.

Look into Elkhounds. They've pretty small and are built for our end of the world. Of course, it wouldn't be legal to hunt moose with one, but that's what they were bred for.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    An English springer spainel might be a good choice. Mines a big male about 45 lbs. Doesn't shed, but you have to shave them a couple times a year. They will hang with you on your hikes and are great companions. I've not trained mine at all and he points at every bird in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know where you get they don't shed, if they are shaved down they just shed short hair. Theres only 2 dogs that I know of don't shed ones a poodle and the other is a chinese crested and they don't shed cuz they have no hair. AGL. if you haven't located anything give me a call at the number below, my womans mrs. pet if someones looking for dogs she usually has a pretty good line on different breeds
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast