Thread: Current at depth indicator

Default Current at depth indicator

I am curious if anyone uses anything to gauge what the actual trolling speed is down at your bait and downrigger (what with swift cross currents and all).

How do you gauge the actual trolling speed of your bait?

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    How do you gauge the actual trolling speed of your bait?
    Two words...

Line angle.

Too flat... too fast.

Too steep.... too slow.

Just right.... FISH ON!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Angle and action

I watch my line angle and action if it pulses like a spinner or Kuikfish should be 120 pulses per minute. Bob Toman has hundreds of hours of underwater video to prove it works.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

I am curious if anybody makes a unit for current speed that can be dropped overboard or accompanies a canonball on a downrigger? Seems like it would be easy to do and would pay for itself quicker than a black box.

Line angle seems to be what everyone does, but it must be accompanied with a lot of experience to be usefull with all of the variables to account for.

Found it, thanks!

http://www.moorelectronics.com/fishing/fishing.html

"Moor Electronics has solved this problem, with the Sub-Troll 900 (ST-900). The ST-900 gives you both speed and temperature where you need it most, at the lure. Moor has engineered this system to install easily on any downrigger, even while your boat is afloat. This patented system allows you to monitor the speed of the lure - not the speed of the boat. You know immediately if under water currents are affecting the lure's action. You also monitor changes in temperature right where it's happening, at the lure."

Default This ones much cheaper, but no temp.

Luhr Jensen makes one that uses a cannon ball weight on a line connected to a speed chart indicator, worked great on my sled which did not have down riggers on it. About $50

LUHR JENSEN TROLLING SPEED INDICATOR
    Catalog # 710412
    Speed is critical to consistently catching fish. The Luhr speed trolling indicator gives you the ability to accuratley control your speed. More accurate than electronic fish finder speedometers. Unaffected by wind and waves. Reads in both knots and MPH.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com