Thread: skilak lake waves

Default skilak lake waves

Just got a boat this year that meets the kenai regs. I've been launching from bings, but this weekend decided to launch from skilak. fished for a while and it was a zoo on the middle. cruised down the middle looking for good water with less people. noticed the wind was picking up but didn't think to much about it. by the time we left, the wind was gusting pretty good. when i came to the entrance of the lake i was amazed at the whitecaps and huge waves on the lake. It was real sketchy to say the least. I'm definitely going to launch at bings or check the weather before i launch at the lake again. that was an eye opening experience to say the least. if your a new boater out there be careful and check the weather before lauching at the lake, I know i will from now on.

Skilak Lake is notorious for taking the lives of boaters, who weren't quite as skilled in small craft handling as they thought they were... You don't seem to hear too much about it anymore, but back in the 70's and early 80's it seems the lake would claim one or two boaters every year...

Count yourself lucky. That is one nasty lake.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowfish View Post
    Just got a boat this year that meets the kenai regs. I've been launching from bings, but this weekend decided to launch from skilak. fished for a while and it was a zoo on the middle. cruised down the middle looking for good water with less people. noticed the wind was picking up but didn't think to much about it. by the time we left, the wind was gusting pretty good. when i came to the entrance of the lake i was amazed at the whitecaps and huge waves on the lake. It was real sketchy to say the least. I'm definitely going to launch at bings or check the weather before i launch at the lake again. that was an eye opening experience to say the least. if your a new boater out there be careful and check the weather before lauching at the lake, I know i will from now on.

The LARGE reader board at the launch owes its existence to its reputation.

The big threee lakes on the KP are never to be taken lightly. They are long, brutaly cold and subject to rapid changes in wind and weather. There was a terrible tragedy on Tustumena lake this spring as a result of the wind, http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...tustumena+lake .

Boat safe !

Wow good to hear this. Im not a lake fisherman typically but I do get a wild hair to try new things every now and then. Will definitely keep this in mind when I decide to try a large lake.

The wind was bad on the middle again yesterday as well. Hopefully it clears up for tomorrow.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

If Skilak is too big you can head down to Dots or Bings and take a Cab for about $25. Well worth the time and expense vs Open ocean like conditions when the wind gets going

If you know a cab from bings to skilak lake for $25 please post a name.
    A friend told me last time he called a cab that fare ran $85. Still that would be smarter than risking ones life on that lake.
    One could bring camping gear and wait it out.

Pretty sure it was alaska cab white car blue lettering 262-1555. Bings to Skilak, maybe the guy felt bad for us?? Can't see how 2009-2011 the price should jump $60.

Thanks Lineburns. I called that number as I sometimes might need that ride myself. I was just told $40.
    Unlike hitching a ride from jims back to sportsmans thats a easy thumb most times, but asking someone to drive to the lake isn't going to happen. I put this number in the phone as I could see 40 where 85 as I was told is to much.

Wow your lucky man, one time we rented a 20ft boat with a 75hp from FT. Ritch and took it to the inlet to fish for trout, at about 4pm we decided to leave cause it was getting a little windy with small white caps, we made it about a 1/4 of the way back and the wind speed/wave size doubled so we had to find a cove and spend the night. By morning time the boat was swamped on it's side, luckly there was 4 of us so we were able to tip it and get enough water out to get back.

what nobody told you about the hurricane?

glad you are ok

you should see Ugashik Lake when the wind picks up, 5-6 footers instantly
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Before you go to Skilak: http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapi...station=MSGSA2

I have made the run down to Bings while my buddy walks back along the lake to get the truck. It is only a 45 minute walk but dying is forever. That lake scares me and it can get bad really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    Before you go to Skilak: http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapi...station=MSGSA2

I have made the run down to Bings while my buddy walks back along the lake to get the truck. It is only a 45 minute walk but dying is forever. That lake scares me and it can get bad really fast.
    Yeap no joke