Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Shrimp gear

Default Missing Shrimp gear

So, someone moved my pots again (no - they don't move unless someone 'helps'). This time I managed to recover one buoy and two pots (nearly sunk) but still missing the other with 3 on the line. They were set between Blackstone and Cochrane on the point. The one missing has a hard dull orange buoy with a loop cast into the buoy. It has all my information on it. We bounced around for several hours looking on Saturday. If someone spots this in the area, let me know. Thanks!

Ps I am taking note of boats I observe pull my gear, taking photos, and giving to wildlife troopers. To the blue 2556...your days as a shrimp thief are numbered!

Wow! You have actually observed people pulling your gear? It will be interesting to see what the troopers do with you photos. Please keep us posted and good luck finding your gear.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing spoiledone. If it were me I wouldn't waste the Troopers time. You got the video, make them pay a pot user fee of whatever they get fined plus whatever your time is worth

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    So, someone moved my pots again (no - they don't move unless someone 'helps'). This time I managed to recover one buoy and two pots (nearly sunk) but still missing the other with 3 on the line. They were set between Blackstone and Cochrane on the point. The one missing has a hard dull orange buoy with a loop cast into the buoy. It has all my information on it. We bounced around for several hours looking on Saturday. If someone spots this in the area, let me know. Thanks!

Ps I am taking note of boats I observe pull my gear, taking photos, and giving to wildlife troopers. To the blue 2556...your days as a shrimp thief are numbered!
    If I make it out this weekend I'll keep an eye out for your stuff, but I'm not going to be pulling a buoy to look and see if it has a loop cast into it. Can you give us any of the information that's written on the buoy? Even the last 2-3 number of your boat registration number.

Troopers don't care about your gear. Mine was recovered, after reported stolen, and the thief was caught with the gear. All the troopers did was ask for my gear back.
    I'm glad you are catching someone, even videoing them, but I doubt anything will come of it. (I hope I'm wrong though....)
    BK

If you can stand there and take photos and video why the heck aren't you running them down? Even if there boat is faster, where can they go? Especially if you call in the Troopers from your radio that you are in pursuit. Not like it's New York and your chasing a yellow cab! You get a description of the vessel and send out an "all-points-bulletin" someone will corner that slime ball. Please explain why.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Wait, so you sit back and watch (allow?) other boats to pull your gear, so you can take notes and pictures to give to the troopers in the interest of hoping the troopers will stop them from pulling your gear? How about rather than hope that someone else will solve your problem (which they wont), you stand up for yourself and confront them?

Once a few years ago I did confront someone (who lied in front of their kid) about pulling my pots, got my shrimp back, and let them know I did not appreciate it.

After 24 years in the Sound, I try to let fools be fools and know it will eventually come around. If I can get to them before they drop em...I'll talk. Many times I am on shore, boat anchored possibly miles away, and observe through binocs or spotting scope.

I have learned patience in fishing, waiting to launch, and dealing with the whitdiots (no you dont' have to live there to be one). I go out boating to relieve stress, not create it.

I recall years ago getting all wound up over my shrimp gear...who is pulling it now! If it sets all summer, then others seem to fish it. Now I do not leave it all summer but had boat trouble Sunday the 27th and had a 6 hour kicker trip putting me in at 2am Monday. Could not see it in the dark and decided just to head in at 3 knts rather than waste time looking at night. Northern lights were GREAT and the gals (guests) said they would go again in a heartbeat even if they ended up POWs for the night.

The buoy is dull orange, Name of boat is "Other Woman", and the cast in loop is on both top and bottom...this is one of the hard buoys than no one wants.

I'll be out there Friday looking again. Hopefully the forecast comes true.

My boat goes 48 MPH top end so I could probably catch most...rather use the fuel for something more enjoyable. Let me ask you guys, where do you draw the line when it comes to taking the law in your own hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Wait, so you sit back and watch (allow?) other boats to pull your gear, so you can take notes and pictures to give to the troopers in the interest of hoping the troopers will stop them from pulling your gear? How about rather than hope that someone else will solve your problem (which they wont), you stand up for yourself and confront them?
    If he wanted to try to get the thieves prosecuted, which do you think would be better to have to present to the court or whomever:
    Pictures and video of the thieves in action, or your word (against theirs)

And if your going to confront someone, remember that the person is already breaking the law so you know that they're not exactly upstanding, lots of people carry guns on their boat, and what is it worth to you.

If I caught someone pulling my pots and was able to only get their boat description or number, I'd sure broadcast that on the VHF.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My boat goes 48 MPH top end so I could probably catch most...rather use the fuel for something more enjoyable. Let me ask you guys, where do you draw the line when it comes to taking the law in your own hands?
    I don't take the law in my own hands, but I don't knowingly let others fish my gear (or drive my car, or kick my dog etc, etc, etc), nad if I see them doing any of the above, you bet your hind end I'm going to intervene. I may have been a bit rash in my first reply to you and if so I apologize. If you are ok with the passive approach, that's your business I guess.

Be sure and call the troopers to file a report on the missing gear.
    There was a fellow on here last year about this time who had his gear go missing. He didn't figure he would see it again or that the troopers could/would do anything. He later got a ticket in the mail for fishing after season.
    The thieves had merely moved his gear where he would not be looking for it and then left it after the season was over.
    Could have saved him some trouble had he reported it as the judge would probably have considered that when he had his day in court.
    Here are the threads from last year.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=stolen

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=stolen
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

All i want to see is their fingers peeling of the stem of my boat after i run them down. Case closed

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hard dull orange buoy? If its one of those bullets i say it got sucked under or your buoy line fowled up and sunk it. Those bullets will squish down to nothing once they get pulled down deep from the water pressure. Here's a picture of a old inflatable buoy i drug up this summer, the rope attached to it was solid barnacles and it had a couple of real old steel pot frames on it. The buoy looked like one of those 3 sides colonial hats!!P7140443.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

If you have the pics, post them!! So every one knows who they are, I would!!!!

There are some bozo's out there. I had my crab pots in Res. bay all summer with no problems until derby time. Then I pulled one that had been moved about 1/2 mile. It had been emptied and then bent in 1/2 before resetting. 1 week later the 2nd. one turned up missing. It was there @ 5 PM and gone @ 7Am the next day. It only takes 1 bad apple to F up the bushel. Guess I will pull my pots before the derby next year.
    To all of you honest fishermen and women out there I salute you.

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    There are some bozo's out there. I had my crab pots in Res. bay all summer with no problems until derby time. Then I pulled one that had been moved about 1/2 mile. It had been emptied and then bent in 1/2 before resetting. 1 week later the 2nd. one turned up missing. It was there @ 5 PM and gone @ 7Am the next day. It only takes 1 bad apple to F up the bushel. Guess I will pull my pots before the derby next year.
    To all of you honest fishermen and women out there I salute you.
    That really sucks!
    Theft of crabs and/or pots sucks. But to destroy your pot that just blows my mind.

The only real solution I can come up with is to increase the fine for messing with other peoples gear. Start with at least a $1,000 fine or maybe higher. And then increase it with each subsequent offense.
    Being it is so hard to catch these people especially the way pots get placed all over the place if we fine the living crap out of them they might just think twice before they pull our gear.
    It seems fines of $300 or less aren't discouraging enough. I bet if it was $1,000 or $1,500 for a first offense and more people got busted for this it would cut down on these incidents.
    I would also like to see the troopers go out a few times each year and pull up to some boats pulling pots to confirm the owners are the ones pulling them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That really sucks!
    Theft of crabs and/or pots sucks. But to destroy your pot that just blows my mind.

The only real solution I can come up with is to increase the fine for messing with other peoples gear. Start with at least a $1,000 fine or maybe higher. And then increase it with each subsequent offense.
    Being it is so hard to catch these people especially the way pots get placed all over the place if we fine the living crap out of them they might just think twice before they pull our gear.
    It seems fines of $300 or less aren't discouraging enough. I bet if it was $1,000 or $1,500 for a first offense and more people got busted for this it would cut down on these incidents.
    I would also like to see the troopers go out a few times each year and pull up to some boats pulling pots to confirm the owners are the ones pulling them.
    Great idea and I will report the pots stolen if I cannot find them tomorrow. To potbuilder: the ball is cast hard plastic. If it crushes ffrom pressure it will break but I would not want to run itno one of these balls...might break the boat!

Great idea and I will report the pots stolen if I cannot find them tomorrow. To potbuilder: the ball is cast hard plastic. If it crushes ffrom pressure it will break but I would not want to run itno one of these balls...might break the boat!
    Maybe it has a crack in it and it filled with water and sunk, could of got run over by a boat and prop cracked it? I don't think those buoys have the same amount of flotation that the inflatable ones have.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Pots returned!

So they brought them back, did not rebait, and stuck em in the rocks. I did get 2 out of 3 back (holding line broke off one) and found they put the bait jars in in a new method that I have never used. We thought someone was hovering a long time at my gear last saturday 9-3-11...when I called/hailed they took off. My gear was gone! Looked for hours.
    9-10-11 Head to the spot and it is right near the original location but no cat food cans, and bait jar put in a unique way. Thanks for getting it back in the neghborhood! Perhaps it was alkida...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast