Thread: seen this guy this weekend

Default seen this guy this weekend

& 30 riggs that drove right past him. my guess is 65"+moose 2011.jpg

Closer to 55"

Definitely a shooter

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Closer to 55"

just got a call- buddy dumped him last night. 64 5/8"

NICE! I was way off! Glad I am not doing that for a living!

How do you miss THAT???

& how come you didn't pop him? Your friend owes you a backstrap in my estimation
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    How do you miss THAT???

& how come you didn't pop him? Your friend owes you a backstrap in my estimation
    Typical machine dependance and lack of desire to get ones @$$ off the wheeler for a looksee. That is one of those obvious "BOOM" moose.

You didn't forget your HT did you, Full Freezer ?

Too big ........Not good eating.......

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Typical machine dependance and lack of desire to get ones @$$ off the wheeler for a looksee. That is one of those obvious "BOOM" moose.

You didn't forget your HT did you, Full Freezer ?
    I hear you there. I saw a 60 + bull two years ago about a mile off of a very popular highway. I sat there and watched him for almost an hour and countless rigs went past me, oblivious to what I was seeing.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I think that his screen name says it all: FullFreezer
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

- yes I did forget my HT. I was looking for a caribou & not done eating up that 50" from last year I've heard reports of some big moose being seen.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Too big ........Not good eating.......
    See a fair number of folks on this forum showing off 60+ bulls. Don't see many complaining about the meat after.

The mature bull moose, in my experience, put on more fat than the smaller ones. Makes for a good eating animal.

I would say that meat quality deteriorates more on big bulls as you get later in fall.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

MT hit it right on the head! Big bulls have substantially more fat early in the season, only to lose it faster as the rut progresses. Big moose early= quality meat (as long as its aged appropriately and well cared for in the field). Later in the season (September 10 and beyond)= maybe great, maybe not. I love moose.

Default "Nope, haven't seen a thing"

I hear you there. I saw a 60 + bull two years ago about a mile off of a very popular highway. I sat there and watched him for almost an hour and countless rigs went past me, oblivious to what I was seeing.
    I was hunting probably 8-9 years ago with my trusty muzzleloader, saw my game from the road, got out, primed it, and was just getting ready to walk over to the correct side of the road to blast'm.

But instead another muzzleloader guy pulled over and all of a sudden wants to be my best friend.... He gabs and gabs (got out of his car and everything) and I'm keeping track of my game while looking right over his shoulder while talking to him. I don't like to lie, but I did tell him I haven't seen much....

Finally, he gets back into his car and drives off; I let him get 1/2 mile away before I let my 50 cal smokepole take him down in his tracks.

Right then "my new best buddy" does a U turn and comes back, asking if I shot? I say yes, I saw him right after you left.

True story.

If yer eatin antlers, the bigger you go the tougher I like a spike fer the freezer rather than trophy meat makes my dentures hurt.....
    of course thats only my opinion I could be wrong.
    fshrman

You all can shoot the spikes and I'll keep shooting the big bulls. They really are tough and aren't good table fare!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    You all can shoot the spikes and I'll keep shooting the big bulls. They really are tough and aren't good table fare!
    I agree! I have had some smell pretty bad but were quite delicious, I mean terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by fshrman View Post
    If yer eatin antlers, the bigger you go the tougher I like a spike fer the freezer rather than trophy meat makes my dentures hurt.....
    of course thats only my opinion I could be wrong.

growing up , my dad would go for the 50" range & they tasted great to me.

The difference in the amount of meat obtained from young and mature moose is noticeable. We have true subsistence hunters on the forum who prefer mature bulls for the increased amount of meat.
    I think, in truth, if given the opportunity most of us will shoot the larger bull before the smaller............given the same opportunity.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I was hunting probably 8-9 years ago with my trusty muzzleloader, saw my game from the road, got out, primed it, and was just getting ready to walk over to the correct side of the road to blast'm.

But instead another muzzleloader guy pulled over and all of a sudden wants to be my best friend.... He gabs and gabs (got out of his car and everything) and I'm keeping track of my game while looking right over his shoulder while talking to him. I don't like to lie, but I did tell him I haven't seen much....

Finally, he gets back into his car and drives off; I let him get 1/2 mile away before I let my 50 cal smokepole take him down in his tracks.

Right then "my new best buddy" does a U turn and comes back, asking if I shot? I say yes, I saw him right after you left.

True story.
    Wow this is a great story.. I'm sure your mind was racing... like wow i hope this guy shuts up and leaves soon or i'll use him for a rest....lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast