Thread: Kodiak 351 RPM

Default Kodiak 351 RPM

I have a 1990 Willi Predator with a Kodiak 351 (Ford) engine, and a Kodiak 3 stage jet pump.I bought this boat
    last fall and it has runs great. What I have been using (RPM) is just enough to keep it on the step.
    .. I know RPM will change depending on the load you are carrying,but my question is what is a safe RPM range ?.
    Thanks Ernie

I run mine up to 4200 all the time - If your motor will turn faster than that you may need some adjustments to the impellers to hold it back.

The max RPM I can generate from my 351HO (285hp) is 4000 which gives me 40mph, criuse is 3200-3400rpm and 30mph (light to typical loads). 773 pump, 22,22,23 impellers. No clue if they are overlap or not.

The only max RPM I have been able to find documented is 4400rpm momentarily, 3600rpm continuous. I think that may be conservative and predicated by load to the engine, but I tke it to heart. I always try to run my engine at max efficiency, rarely do I firewall it.

Clarification to previous post - I should have said I run at RPM's as low as possible to stay on step but with a very heavy load have run it at 4200 for extended periods of time. I carry very heavy loads a lot.

Thanks Guys for the info that gives me something to go on.
    Ernie