Thread: Weathered In and Waiting

Question Weathered In and Waiting

I've only been on one float/bush plane hunt and was very fortunate that we were able to finish our hunt days early and get an early extraction.

What's the longest time you've spent weathered in waiting for your bush/float plane?

Fall of 1970 our scheduled 30 day hunt turned into a six week expedition in the Brooks Range, we poached a caribou when out of food. Plane was about two weeks late, we were ready to try and walk to Ambler.

Well I can't compete with AGL, but I did spend 4 extra days in the Brooks and 3 extra on Kodiak. The Brooks range hold up was because we hired a real piece of work outfit to fly us in and he said that he was just too busy to come back out to pick us up. Bad weather was the hold up on Kodiak.

I've only happened twice and both were short durations. The first one about 20 years ago my buddy and I were out at a fish creek and pilot never showed up for our scheduled pickup. The next day a different carrier picked us up. They had an arrangement with our pilot to help out if he didn't show up. They found his plane and his body the next day on the side of a goat mountain.

The next time was about 6 years ago during a goat hunt in October when weather kept all planes grounded. We got out 3 days late.

I have had it happen twice.........once 3 days, once 4 days. Doesn't really matter why, you are stuck none the less. I make the most of the situation. I REFUSE to let anything sour my time in the bush. Including last year when at the last minute I ended up going with an unknown hunting "partner". He was a real piece of work......Next time I will go alone before going with the "unknown" live n learn.

Had a 1 day delay going in ( Quebec ) plane problems - had another 1 day delay coming out after the float ride on the air charter as it was over booked so stayed in a decent building - next day my buddy and I were the only 2 on a 40 passenger propjet - also Quebec bou hunt.
    Did take off in a mild rainstorm with cloud cover once near dusk for a 1 hr float plane ride that made me a bit nervous but the pilot was right and about 15 minutes before we landed it cleared off beautifully!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Come on Yogi, it'll be sunny and low winds in early October in Kodiak. You don't have to worry about that at all!
    You just have to get a goat on day 2 again and you guys won't have any issues!

30 days turning into 6 weeks, that is some good bush time!

We had a six day delay in late November on Afognak once. Thankfully we had a cabin, but the one guy who got out on time took the food on the promise that the next airplane would be there in 30 minutes. Oops! That was a big fat mistake, but given we had enough king size snickers to last the week, we made it out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post

30 days turning into 6 weeks, that is some good bush time!
    The C-185 lunched the engine, and by the time it was operational, the "Pond" we were on froze. (Anyone know Shaky Shannhan (sp) drove for frontier air & Merrick air out of Bettle's). We were young and cocky men who told the flight service, "Never worry about us, we are experienced "Outdoors'men"...........well, I never ever said those words again.

In 2006 We were "lucky" the guide said weather looks like getting worse, lets get tags filled and outa here. Left on thursday in blowing snow in a widgeon. And then the ferry canceled the run to Homer due to bad weather. So we got stuck in a hotel room, instead of in camp. Still that was the funnest trip I have ever had, good guide, dry bed, and seen deer each and every day. Best part was the company!

Chris

We tied at 5 days. One was waiting for the plane to pick us up on Montague and the other was on Kodiak. Both times it was late Novemeber and we were deer hunting.

After these trips I swore I would never tear down our tent again if the plane was overdue and kept my promise. Now if the plane is late by at least a day he can wait for us to pack up when they show up.
    Tennessee

My record is 6 days at the airstrip in the brooks this year.I ate sheep meat for the last two days it was due to chartered pilot damaging prop when he got a tail wind while dropping another hunter and weather combined.Lets just say i was fully recovered from our sheep hunt lots of rest.
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Randy
    I like your idea of having transporter wait while you tear down tent I always feel rushed when they show up.Maybe ill keep that in my tool bag next time.
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

I never take the tent down until I see the plane land. I have been lucky. I think 2 extra days is the most for me. I have friends that had 5 extra days on Kodiak. Now with a Sat phone.....I would still leave the tent up,

2 fly outs and I got out early both times though we did have weather rolling in on Kodiak when Rolan dropped from the sky and pulled us out. Another couple hours and we would have been in for a few wet and windy days.

I personally feel it is bad luck to break down the tent till I see the plane. I will have camp fully packed but the tent ain't coming down till I am confident the plane is.

Thats what happened to me this year I called and he said was on his way so I packed everything up.6 days later was the first plane I seen no biggie but im not packing up until positive id from above from now on.I wish i would have brought a book.

Including last year when at the last minute I ended up going with an unknown hunting "partner". He was a real piece of work......Next time I will go alone before going with the "unknown" live n learn.[/QUOTE]

Just want to let you know...I can count the number of unknown hunting partners on three fingers,met one here,and let me tell you,I couldn't find better hunting partners a hundred more "unknown trials" if I tried!I now there are a fair share of dooshbag hunters out there,and i have met a few,but you can call me lucky,heck look at big27's unknown partner,I think whodat was more than happy for a fellow forum member to give him a unknown chance!

Last year a buddy and I got stuck about twelve miles back in a drainage with a wheeler that got rolled in the river. We waited two days for the rain to stop, and the water level drop. Then we towed out the broke down wheeler. Still got a caribou though.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.245031,-148.241996