Thread: Denali highway caribou

Default Denali highway caribou

Just wondering how people did over labor day weekend. Was up there opening weekend and there were a bunch on the paxson side of the big su with a few stragglers on the cantwell side. We only saw one legal bull the day before the opener. Gonna head back up the last weekend of the season 16th to the 20th. Have any bou ventured Back to the cantwell side (dc482), trying to help my little brother get his first bou. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I was just there all weekend looking for a caribou on the cantwell side. It was pretty scarce with the herd scattered I left empty handed and will go back next week. THere were more people on the highway then I have ever seen though

Glad I went up a few weeks back, only took about three hours to ride in, punch the tag and get out of there.

Up there on the Paxson to McLaren side-not much to see and what there was were way up high. Nothing like the first couple weekends, very small groups way scattered probably due in part to more "hunters" than I've ever seen. Seems like F & G might have issued some kind of Nelchina 101 requirement given the influx of new participants the last two years and the resultant stories of combat hunting and lack of what should be common sense. Starting to resemble dipnetting on the Kenai.......

We were up in the mountains this weekend on the Cantwell end and saw probably 20 caribou, with perhaps 7 being bulls. All were at least 2,000' above the valley floors. If you're looking to fill a tag and are willing to pack the meat off the mountains, look high - very high.

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. im sure my brother will be down to pack a ways out, as am i.

Got back from denali hwy last night, spent 4 days up there- Between mile 30 and 65 we seen caribou every day, mostly small groups. The majority we spotted were by mclaren summit, as we were headed out yesterday there was a group of approx. 25 with a decent bull 600 yards off the road at the summit. We weren't bou hunting. Good berry year up there and seen lots of ptarmigan. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    Got back from denali hwy last night, spent 4 days up there- Between mile 30 and 65 we seen caribou every day, mostly small groups. The majority we spotted were by mclaren summit, as we were headed out yesterday there was a group of approx. 25 with a decent bull 600 yards off the road at the summit. We weren't bou hunting. Good berry year up there and seen lots of ptarmigan. Good luck!
    I wish we could go to that side but we can't cross the big su which is right around mile 86. Dido on the ptarmigan I shot a few when were up there for the opener. Fried Ptarmigan tenders are delicious

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.241298,-148.244700

Any up dates from the week, from the cantwell side?

Got back two days ago from the cantwell side, little brother got his first caribou. Saw probably about 40 or so caribou in 2 days. Groups from 2 to 14 or so. Very few bulls. Like Brian said, they are higher up. We ended up packing our caribou about a mile off a mountain, across a valley, and back up another mountain.

oh and I forgot to mention, lots of moose hunters in the area at the moment.

Any new updates? Heading up Friday.

My son (13 yr. old) and I bagged one. It was his first and we saw 8-9 groups but had to work for it. 5 miles up the lakes in a canoe!
    Very few other guys up in there but plenty of guys sitting in trucks hoping a Bou hopped into their trucks!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-822-4290