Thread: Black bear in Talkeetna?

Default Black bear in Talkeetna?

Heading up to Talkeetna for a week come tuesday and was wondering if there are alot of black bears up there... Any info would help!
    -Matt

I spend most of my summer on the "Talkeetna" and yes I see a lot of Black Bears, in fact I killed a 6'9 a couple years ago. This year I have only seen 3...

Plenty of bears, but they are super hard to hunt due to all the thick vegetation. I haven't seen one since June. I'm sure there are some up high by the berry bushes, but the access trail I use was virtually impassable due to all the rain we have had in August.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

When I go out there for moose hunting I tend to see them eating berries most of the time. They are there and I see them every year at my hunting grounds. Berry patches and at the base of hill sides.

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Heading up to Talkeetna for a week come tuesday and was wondering if there are alot of black bears up there... Any info would help!
    -Matt

We've not seen many black bear this year either. Can't tell you why, we usally have one or two in our front yard. Talked to a few neighbors and it's the same with them.
    I bet Doug has it right. With all the rain it's a bumper berry crop and they could be up high living on berrys. If so, that would be mighty tasty black bear.