Thread: DC480 success!

Default DC480 success!

Went out Friday morning with hopes of getting my tag filled. Went in twenty miles and camped the first night. Was getting pretty discouraged with the amount of people back there, but had to stick it out. Had to send one guy out for more fuel the next morning. After he got back with the fuel, we rode in another twenty miles. We were stopped for a break from riding and I spent the break glassing the hills. I looked up on the side of a mountain and said "Geez, there's four more four wheelers up on that ridge." Was feeling pretty down, and then took another look at "the wheelers" up on the ridge line. One moved and picked up its head! Holy shet those are 'bou! I jumped off the wheeler and started running up and around the ridge to try and cut them off. Covered two miles in about 10 minutes on foot. Was dropping gear the whole way up. Came over the top of another ridge where I thought I might have got in from of them. I'm standing on top of the hill looking down into a bowl when movement to my right caught my attention. It was the 'bou and they were 15 yards away feeding! I hit the deck so they wouldn't skyline me on top of the ridge. Put the binos on 'em and saw horns on one, but couldn't get a good look at his "equipment" to make sure it was a bull. He circled down below me while I was trying to get him sexed. Meanwhile, one of the cows busted me and took of across the valley. That spooked the bull and he followed. As he was running away I was able to confirm it was a bull. Stopped broadside at 100 yds and I let the .300 WSM rip and he hit the dirt! First caribou was on the ground! Adrenaline was flowing thick and I was on cloud nine. Then the realization that I had to hike him out 2 miles hit and quickly counter acted the adrenaline! 80 miles of riding, a busted CV axle on the wheeler, a stuck jeep 20 miles in, a broken U-joint on the jeep, and 3 days later I had my bull! Awesome hunt. Not a big bull, but it's my first 'bou and I'm happy to have him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Congratulations Raptor_1

Congrats... is that the area 13 hunt???

Nice caribou! Congrats! I cannot imagine how many of Caribou Hair Caddis flies you can to tie
    This land is your land, this land is my land

Congrats, what part of 13 is dc480. Is that the lake Louise one, a buddy of mine went up to that area and didn't see a thing. Also a lot of those hunters u saw coulda been moose hunters. Just goes to show ya even if there is a lot of pressure things can work out. U just gotta work a kittle harder and it sounds like u did

Congrats on the success.

I was up there on opening weekend and saw fewer bou than any other trip out that way. Spotted 9 caribou over three days and almost 100 miles.

Congrats on the successful hunt Raptor_1!

Thanks all. Yes it was the area 13 hunt. I was down the Monument trail in 13A.

I think we saw you headed in on Friday in the Jeep. We saw a few head on up the trail a bit and a cow/calf just before the big hill that heads down to the nelchina - the cow/calf crossed the road but when she saw the 4 wheelers she jumped up in the air and took off running......

Hope you like the bou meat - sounds more expensive than Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I think we saw you headed in on Friday in the Jeep. We saw a few head on up the trail a bit and a cow/calf just before the big hill that heads down to the nelchina - the cow/calf crossed the road but when she saw the 4 wheelers she jumped up in the air and took off running......

Hope you like the bou meat - sounds more expensive than Gold!
    Yea there was two of us on wheelers and the jeep. What were you riding? We only saw a few moose until we got wayyyyy back in there and saw the group of caribou that I took my bull from. Yes it was an expensive trip. $230 for the CV axle. Ouch! Ate some tenderloin and back strap yesterday, delicious!

Congratulations ! The tougher the hunt, the longer the memory !

Thanks .338. Yes the memory will last a lifetime. Great hunt. Already planning my next 'bou hunt for a bigger bull and with the bow this time.

Congrats on a great hunt

Congrats! And may your next trip be much less expensive!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....