Thread: Need help locating Moose !!

Cool Need help locating Moose !!

Ok so I'm lookin for some information on Moose hunting around Anchorage I will be on foot with a rifel and unless i can find somebody to go with me this will be a one man band lookin to do this ASAP any help wll be greatly appreciated this will be for the meat not really concerned about trophy .... thanks again

Study the regs and land ownership maps and then go from there. Good luck

You and a 1000 other guys are scouring the the MatSu area. Tough gig on foot though I did pass a guy yesterday hauling a moose of point Mack road with a sled. Not sure on sex. Coulda been a cow.

AK HUNTER how do you get ahold of land Ownership maps

you know i was out in the mat-su today hunting moose on foot.....it was a fun experience.....better than a day at work! I bumped into several sub-legal bulls and a smorgasboard of cows and calves....they are out there, you just have to be patient and hunt hard.....you have about 3 weeks....try to find a fresh trail of a bull (single bed is usually a good indicator IME) and watch that area for 2 days or so...if nothing turns up, go somehwre else and do the same....there are moose scattered throughout the valley, and bulls are all over as well.....in about 10 days find a good area with lots of cows in it and start beating brush, calling etc....you will definately improve your chances.....good luck

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    AK HUNTER how do you get ahold of land Ownership maps
    the unit maps in the regs will give you the info you need....just make sure its not private property....also heres a thought- now if you get up to treeline on pretty any mountain ridge, you will see big bulls moving about during dusk and dawn...this time of year thats where most of them are.......until the bugs are gone and the cold weather promotes their instinct to rut....then theyll head down to the cows....

Release Lake Trout