Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food for the 45's

Smile Food for the 45's

5 parts wheel weights
    1 part Linotype
    Heat to 725 degrees pour into one nice hot LBT mould, repeat for 1.5 hours

Makes 200 or so 355gr Pills for the 45's

Hopefully I can feed one of them to Mr. Moose in a couple weeks.

Last edited by Snyd; 01-09-2012 at 17:56.

Hey Snyd ! What did you size/swage them to and what kind of lube do you use on these bullets?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'll size these to .452 and lube em with my home made lube. Vaseline, sticky sweet beeswax and some ballistol thrown in.... not sure why, just seemed like a good idea a the time I made it

It a good idea if it works and isn't to temperature sensative. Have you tried it yet?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    It a good idea if it works and isn't to temperature sensative. Have you tried it yet?
    Ya, I've lubed and shot 255ers, 275ers, 355ers, and 435ers with this lube in my 454 redhawk, 45 Colt bishunter and 454 levergun. All are very accurate. It might be a little soft in 80 degree or hotter weather but so far so good here. I could add a little more beeswax if needed. With these 355ers I can consistently hit the 4" metal targets at 50-60yds with the Bishunter with the 2x scope kneeling, sitting, leaning. 12 inch box at 105yds kneeling. With a rest at 100yds hitting a 6 inch or less target is easy. I've shot a couple hundred of them the past 2 weeks. Plus 100+ or so 255ers. The 255 and 355 loads have the same POI. Makes it real nice for practice.

In hotter weather use ALOX. Sounds like the critters with horns really need to spend a lot of time hiding while your in the woods.

Snyd,

Great mix and good looking bullets. I use something like that for 310 gr 44 mag bullets but my supply of linotype metal is getting dangerously low and it is hard to find anymore. I'm toying with a 310- 325 grain mold for my Long Colt 4 5/8" BH to cast up this winter.

What velocity are you getting out of the 4" barrel....any idea?

Heat to 725 degrees pour into one nice LBT mould, repeat for 1.5 hours

Snyd, do you judge heat by reostat or do you place a thermometer in lead alloy? Are these water quenched or air dried?
    Steve

For you Ruger .45 Colt guys, I've got a Brownells cylinder throat reamer with pilots I'd be happy to pass along if you'll promise to pass it along to others in need. I sold my .45 Colt 4" Redhawk and bought one in .44 Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dummy View Post
    For you Ruger .45 Colt guys, I've got a Brownells cylinder throat reamer with pilots I'd be happy to pass along if you'll promise to pass it along to others in need. I sold my .45 Colt 4" Redhawk and bought one in .44 Magnum.
    I will take that offer. PM me with the details.

Are you in Alaska?

I use a thermometer. This batch was air cooled. I do both depending on what hardness I want. I might try heat treating some of these using the oven method.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Heat to 725 degrees pour into one nice LBT mould, repeat for 1.5 hours

Snyd, do you judge heat by reostat or do you place a thermometer in lead alloy? Are these water quenched or air dried?
    Steve

Good deal on the throat reamer. It made a huge difference on my 45 Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I use a thermometer. This batch was air cooled. I do both depending on what hardness I want. I might try heat treating some of these using the oven method.
    Snyd,
    I've been water quenching all of mine lately and using the reostat on 800. Haven't seen any ill effects or leading what ever velocity?
    Steve

Are you in Alaska?
    No, I'm in West Virginia. I'll pay for the shipping if that makes a difference.

Is this the reamer that was being sold/passed around a couple years ago over at rugerforum.com? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Is this the reamer that was being sold/passed around a couple years ago over at rugerforum.com? Just curious.
    No, but that is where the idea came from. I bought this one new myself. It has been used once.

Evandailey, PM me with your shipping address and I'll send it out to you. The shipping should not be that much, so let's not worry about it at this point. If I am wrong and it is cost-prohibitive, I'll contact you and give you the option to pay for shipping. Remember the rule though...you can't hang on it it. Please pass it along to someone else who needs it when you are finished.

No, but that is where the idea came from. I bought this one new myself. It has been used once.

Evandailey, PM me with your shipping address and I'll send it out to you. The shipping should not be that much, so let's not worry about it at this point. If I am wrong and it is cost-prohibitive, I'll contact you and give you the option to pay for shipping. Remember the rule though...you can't hang on it it. Please pass it along to someone else who needs it when you are finished.
    I tried to PM you initially but when I click your profile name it doesn't give me an option to message you. Either send me one through here or email me. My email address is my profile name @suddenlink dot net. Thanks a lot. I will certainly pass it along to another shooter who can use it.

Not sure how big this thing is, but a small flat rate box through USPS is about $5

Evan,

I'd be happy to be next in line after you are finished with the reamer and pass it on to the next person. My emal is: corsicacoatings@atlanticbb.net.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast