Thread: I was reading this on a another forum about Alaska and the calibers you need there

Default I was reading this on a another forum about Alaska and the calibers you need there

I'm not trying to start a flame war about this post the officer was expressing his personal view on caliber's of weapons a person would need .You have to be Vented to get on the forum and that way i will not post the URL because of the area of the forum you have to be logged into to see the post there

Lke the tiltle says i was on Law Enforcement forum a few hour's ago and i was reading the part of the one law enforcement officer post who lives and works in Alaska and he ws pointing out some basic fact's to a person who ws moving to Fairbank's for work about the need for a basic working rifle & pistol battery for all around hunting to self defense that a person should have for Alaska living as he called it.

He said if you learn to shoot these basic caliber's anything that walk's or moves on two leg's or four leg's can be taken care of there

Here is his list of the basic caliber for Alaska

rifle caliber's that he listed
    -22.lr for small game
    -7.62-x-39 for medium sized game & self defense
    -30-06-for all other game from moose to bear's to sheep

shotgun caliber
    -12.ga for anything that flys in the air

pistol caliber's
    -40.S&W for personal defense .His comment on the round it a all around workhorse for a person to have
    -500 mag for a backwood's bear defense revolver.. his comment was if i dif not kill it with the round the flame & sound wave should have kicked it butt when i let a couple go when shooting the 4.inch barrel revolver that he carry's around in the backwood's when hunting

He was basically saying that was the all caliber's a person would need to have for hunting & self defense for person living in Alaska and huntng
    -
    He is a big fan of the Ak47 rifle as a self defense rifle and how the Ar15 is nice set up but he want's something that he knows will handle the sub zero temps that they have up there and know it going to work every time the rifle trigger is pulled in very cold weather conditions. The rifle and round design he say's have been proven time & time again to work in some really bad conditions that we have on this planet .He also point out that the Ar15 is not a bad rifle for law enforcement & military work he just like the fact that the Ak is in 7.62 cal for a self defense weapon

He carry's on duty a 40.cal glock and has in the car with him a Ar15 rifle and 12.ga shotgun in the vehicle weapon rack and these comment's are more on of personal note

Just combine the AK and 30-06 and get a Dragnov in 7.62 x54 and you'll only need one rifle just ask "STRANGER".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I use both Russian rounds and agree they are better than AR
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

No offense to LEO's, but IMHO they are some of the last people that should be giving advice on proper calibers, how to shoot accurately or firearm safety.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    No offense to LEO's, but IMHO they are some of the last people that should be giving advice on proper calibers, how to shoot accurately or firearm safety.
    YEP, well said. MY 15 year old granddaughter probably has a better idea than most LEOs would, what would be a decent Alaska battery.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'm like you but i read the Alaskan LEO section because of the basic info on thing's that you have to deal with in Alaska and some of the socalled normal lower 48 thing's do not work up here .

Like making sure the battie's in the flashlight is kept semi warm next to the person body or they will die on you when you need it most in someone backyard at 1.am in the morning .
    or
    Like the one guy who give me advice about wearing lightwieght silk long john bottom's & top's along with a silk sock liner's for wearing dureing the winter time street level interview's with people that help's with dealing the cold at time's .Getting a set of Chuka Half Boot's and using them as dress shoe's with causal dress clothing i wear for work it seam's to keep my feet warmer than the normal socalled office shoe's i have .

As far as Caliber's for alaska i have pretty much the same set up

Rifle Caliber's
    Bolt action in 338 mag cal for bear & moose
    M14 Rifle in 308 cal for personal defense
    Walther LG 300xg 177.pellet air rifle for target pratice

pistol Caliber's
    duty handgun for i need to be armed to deal with the subect at hand
    Glock M22 in 40 cal

The reason behind the 40 cal was the fact that alot of the dept's seam to be carrying it and i know that i could find ammo for it alot easlyer than other choice's

back woods handgun
    S&W.500Magnum revolver for bear defense when i have to go off the normal road system and go back into areas where i'm know i'm going to encounter a large dangerous animal like a bear or a moose in or around a trail or stream or a walking path back to a person house or cabin .My main goal is to keep it from hurting me or the people i'm with at the time of the encounter .

It ride's in a Diamond D guide chest holster outside my jacket for use as needed

personal handgun's
    Colt 1911 45.acp pistol
    S&W subnose 38.special revolver as a back up piece & winter time jacket pocket

I'm learning that having alot of caliber's up here is getting costly to feed so i chose to go back to the bare basic caliber's to have in the house

Default .357 s&w ???

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    S&W subnose 38.special revolver as a back up piece & winter time jacket pocket
    S&W has a hammerless (won't catch on your coat pocket) .38 that will also shoot .357 mag. I think it might be the Model 642, but not sure about that. Am sure about the shots I've taken with one; feels great with pacmyer grips, on the possible downside it only holds 5 instead of 6, but I'm OK with that.

Plink with .38's, and load for .357. Nice gun. The one I shot was stainless; I always prefer that over blued.

I was given the revolver by wife as a gift in 1982 and i kept it with me every since then as a backup piece

My comments in red.

rifle caliber's that he listed
    -22.lr for small game Good call. The .22lr is never a wrong choice for small game and furbearers.
    -7.62-x-39 for medium sized game & self defense I'm nor sure how big his medium game is he's talking about, but you can't argue it's effectiveness as a SD cartridge. I have seen moose killed with it, but it's not pretty.
    -30-06-for all other game from moose to bear's to sheep Works for me and 90% of people who live here. Mangalums are only popular when you are within the gravitational influences of skAnchorage and Fairbanks. They are rarely seen in the bush villages.

shotgun caliber
    -12.ga for anything that flys in the air Another good call.

pistol caliber's
    -40.S&W for personal defense .His comment on the round it a all around workhorse for a person to have I like it okay enough. Of course I've been forced to carry it for several years now and it's kinda grown on me.
    -500 mag for a backwood's bear defense revolver.. his comment was if i dif not kill it with the round the flame & sound wave should have kicked it butt when i let a couple go when shooting the 4.inch barrel revolver that he carry's around in the backwood's when hunting How in the Hayell did we ever survive before Smith & Worthless invented that hand-numbing, wrist-crushing monster?
    Now what ?